| 18°C Dublin

McCarthy tries to be positive

Mick McCarthy was understandably upset that his team did not hang on to the two-goal lead they took into added time against Brentford at Griffin Park.

McCarthy bemoaned the Tractor Boys' inability to kill the game off, but said there were also plenty of positives to take from the match.

"It's an annoying one and we should have won," said McCarthy. "We conceded two really poor goals. I'm really delighted by the way we played, It's a shame that three minutes at the end annoys you like that. But I won't let it blight it because, for an away performance, we were excellent. We just can't let that happen again."

Ipswich had looked set for the victory after goals from Kevin Bru and Ryan Fraser saw them leading 2-0 going into stoppage time, but Brentford staged a dramatic recovery to snatch a 2-2 draw thanks to strikes from Andre Gray and James Tarkowski.

QPR are handed a reality check

Chris Ramsey had no complaints after Queens Park Rangers were handed a Championship reality check following an opening-day 2-0 defeat at Charlton.

Charlton pair Tony Watt and Morgan Fox struck second-half goals in the London derby against the relegated Hoops. Substitute Watt scored just seven minutes after his introduction at half-time, and Fox netted with his first Addicks goal to kill off QPR for good on a poor afternoon for Ramsey's side at The Valley.

"It's disappointing as we started very well. We didn't take the chances we created, which will come back to bite you as time goes on. It was difficult to claw back the momentum," said Rangers' boss Ramsey.

"Charlton are a very resilient side and I'm sure they were happy that they weathered the storm. They had their time and they took their two chances."

Bruce praises rampant Tigers

The Halfway Line Newsletter

Get the lowdown on the Irish football scene with our soccer correspondent Daniel McDonnell and expert team of writers with our free weekly newsletter.

This field is required

Hull manager Steve Bruce picked out the performance of Sam Clucas as one of the highlights of a 2-0 win over Huddersfield as the Tigers got their Championship season off to the perfect start at the KC Stadium.

Former Chesterfield winger Clucas and Arsenal loanee striker Chuba Akpom both scored on their debut.

Huddersfield had the better of the first half, before Clucas ghosted in at the far post, to hit his close-range shot at Huddersfield keeper Alex Smithies. When the ball rebounded to Clucas he fired it into the roof of the net.

With 20 minutes to go Akpom fired high past Smithies to double the home side's lead.

"It just goes to show if you have got the attitude - never give up. There are some great success stories in things like that," said Bruce.

Seagulls sixth after close win

JUST as it seemed Bray and Drogheda would play out their first scoreless draw in 24 years, full-back Hugh Douglas popped up in the 88th minute to give Bray a 1-0 win over Drogheda United - a result which sends the Seagulls up to sixth place in the table. In the previous 11 Premier Division games at the Carlisle Grounds this season, the team who scored first had gone on to take all three points without themselves conceding a goal.

Ryan McEvoy's flighted free saw the defender lose his marker and power a brilliant ten-yard header past the impressive Micheál Schlingermann for his first goal for his home town club.

Limerick on top in 7-goal thriller

LIMERICK FC came out on top in a sensational seven-goal thriller at Markets Field yesterday evening against fifth-placed Bohemians. Vinny Faherty gave Limerick the lead on 27 minutes when he planted a header into the top corner of the Bohs' net.

Ismahil Akinade drew the Gypsies level six minutes before the interval, heading Jake Kelly's corner to the net from three yards.

Patrick Kanyuka was shown a red card after half-time for fouling Akinade in the box, with Kelly slotting the spot kick. However, Limerick struck back on 59 minutes with a 30-yarder from sub Sean Russell.

Kelly edged Bohs back in front after a counter-attack, before Lee Lynch pulled the teams level for the third time. Shane Tracy's penalty made it 4-3 to Limerick, the ball striking the post before hitting Dean Delany in the back and going over the line.

Supersub Ross drives Cork on

Cork City moved to within four points of leaders Dundalk with a clinical 0-2 defeat of Sligo Rovers at the Showgrounds last night.

Ross Gaynor made a huge difference coming off the bench against his former team - scoring the second at the death and winning the free that enabled Mark O'Sullivan to open the scoring on 58 minutes.

New Sligo Rovers manager Micky Adams was left disappointed in his first game in charge, and Limerick's victory over Bohemians mean that the Bit O' Red are just four points off the basement side.

Most Watched