McCarthy snubs Trap
THE international future of James McCarthy was cast in doubt last night after it emerged the midfielder will play no part in the Republic of Ireland's Euro 2012 qualifier against Macedonia at the Aviva Stadium next month.
McCarthy will not be in Giovanni Trapattoni's squad for the March 26 qualifier or the friendly against Uruguay three days later after his manager at Wigan Athletic, Roberto Martinez, said the talented 20-year-old will delay a decision on his international allegiance until the end of the season.
"We always said that until the summer he's not going to think about international football and the country he is going to represent is going to be a very fortunate nation," said Martinez on Today FM's Premier League Live.
"He doesn't feel ready to make a decision on his international career. He cannot be forced into a decision. I think international issues are going to be a little bit further down the line. To represent a country has to be a feeling, has to be a passion, and that's something he needs to find inside himself."
McCarthy was at the centre of a storm last week when he withdrew from Trapattoni's squad for the clash with Wales, citing tiredness after a lengthy spell on the sidelines.
Trapattoni had indicated that McCarthy would be included in his squad next month, but Martinez has now ruled that out.
Irish Independent Sport Star Awards
Pick our magic sports moment of the year and win a trip for two to London. To view the shortlist and cast your vote click here.
Sunday Indo Sport