Mastercard 'cancels ad campaign' with Neymar over rape allegation
Mastercard has cancelled an advertising campaign featuring Brazilian soccer star Neymar after a woman accused him of raping her in a Paris hotel, newspaper 'O Estado de S Paulo' reported on its website yesterday.
Mastercard said in a statement it was suspending its use of Neymar in advertising until the situation is "cleared up," according to the report.
Neymar denies the allegation of rape and has claimed the woman was trying to extort him.
The woman appeared on Brazilian TV on Wednesday and said he did rape her.
A police report seen by Reuters showed a woman had accused Neymar (27) of raping her at a Paris hotel last month. Sao Paulo police are investigating.
Neither a spokeswoman for Neymar nor Mastercard immediately responded to requests for comment.