Martinez confirmed as Everton boss
Roberto Martinez has been confirmed as the new Everton manager on a four-year deal.
Everton confirmed the Spaniard's arrival in a press release, with the former Wigan boss set to be unveiled at a press conference at 4pm. Martinez led Wigan to the FA Cup last season but opted to leave the club after they also suffered relegation from the Barclays Premier League.
"Everton Football Club is today delighted to confirm the appointment of Roberto Martinez as its next manager," the statement read.
"The 39-year-old Spaniard joins from Wigan Athletic and has signed a four-year contract at Goodison Park. Mr Martinez will be officially unveiled as the club's 14th permanent manager at a media conference on Wednesday afternoon."
Martinez had been in talks with the club over the last couple of days after the Toffees agreed a compensation deal, believed to be about £1.5million, with Wigan. Martinez, 39, has always been the long-time favourite to succeed Manchester United-bound David Moyes after his 11 years in charge
He emerged as the outright first choice of chairman Bill Kenwright after he considered a three-man shortlist, believed to also include Porto's Vitor Pereira and former Schalke coach Ralf Rangnick, over the weekend.
Everton made an official approach on May 24 and four days later Martinez, who won the FA Cup with Wigan when they beat Manchester City 1-0 at Wembley in May, told chairman Dave Whelan he wanted to leave as he did not feel up to the task of getting the club out of the npower Championship.
Wigan owner Dave Whelan immediately backed Martinez to succeed under his new employers.
He told Sky Sports News: "He organises all kinds of things; he's so interested in the youngsters coming through. He's dedicated to players coming through at the age of 14, 15 - he wants them to play for the club he represents. I'm sure he'll pick that up at Everton because Everton do run a super youth scheme.
"I think he will be perfect for that. He's a wonderful guy, very honest and he gives you 150 per cent totally. We're sorry to lose him but I'm delighted he has gone to Everton. I wish him the very best of luck."