Noisy neighbours Manchester City are considering entering the race to sign Sergio Ramos, the Real Madrid defender, according to a report on Monday.
After United had their intial bid of around £32 million rejected by Real, the club were told at the weekend that they must pay a staggering £63m if they are to capture the Spain international. This, though, has not put City off entering the race to sign the wantaway centre-back.
However, while City consider their options United are preparing to make a second bid for the Spain international. This, though, is understood to fall well short - £35.5m - of Real's outrageous valuation for the 2014 European Cup winner.
This is also likely to be rejected by Real as they hold out for their asking price, although there are suspicions that United may be being used by the player to try and engineer a new contract in Spain.
The Spain international, who has two years remaining on his deal, has yet to say anything publicly about where he thinks his future lies, although a colleague of his agent suggested last week that it would be "very difficult" for him to remain at Madrid.
"With everything that has happened it will be very difficult for Sergio Ramos to stay at Madrid," the source said.
Liverpool, meanwhile, are preparing to make a shock bid for Javier Hernández, United's out-of-favour striker, according to a report in Spain.
Hernández, who arrived at Old Trafford in 2010 where he has scored 27 goals in 107 appearances, would appear surplus to requirement under manager Van Gaal who sent him out on loan last season.
Despite scoring nine goals in 33 games while at Real Madrid - including the late winner against Atlético Madrid in the second leg of their Champions League quarter-final - the Mexican failed to impress at the Santiago Bernabéu and has now returned to United.
However, it would appear the 27-year-old has no future at Old Trafford and, according to AS, the Spanish newsaper, Liverpool are preparing an audacious bid for Hernández.
While it is accepted that Van Gaal will sell Hernández during the summer transfer window, United are unlikely want to sell him to a Premier League rival and would ideally offload him to a foregin club. Juventus and Inter Milan are understood to be interested.
Should Hernández join Liverpool then he would become the first player since Phil Chisnall in 1964 to transfer directly between to bitter north west rivals.
Finally, Arda Turan has said that he is looking to leave the Vicente Calderón Stadium this summer sparking talk that the Atlético Madrid midfielder could be winging his way to Old Trafford.
Turan, 28, admitted on Sunday that he was "in touch" with several clubs but could not share any further information.
Turan, who joined Atlético from Galatasaray in 2011, is understood to be talking to representatives at Chelsea, Barcelona, United and Ligue 1 champions Paris St-Germain while AC Milan are also interested.
However, the player's agent Ahmet Bulut last week said the Turkey international was keen on moving to the Premier League.
The playmaker, who played a key role in Atlético's phenomenal season in 2014 when they won their first La Liga title since 1996, is expected to leave the Rojiblancos for around £25 million.
Manchester United have increased their interest in Seamus Coleman but the club have yet to make an official bid, according to reports. United have been long-time admirers of the Ireland international and it is understood that manager Louis van Gaal is lining up the Donegal native to fill the void at right-back.