Liverpool seal Lovren deal
Liverpool have announced the signing of defender Dejan Lovren from Southampton on a long-term contract.
The Croatia international penned his deal with the Reds on Sunday to become the third Southampton player to move to Anfield this summer following striker Rickie Lambert and midfielder Adam Lallana.
A Liverpool statement read: " Liverpool Football Club are delighted to announce the signing of defender Dejan Lovren from Southampton.
"The 25-year-old Croatian international today put pen to paper on a long-term deal with the Reds after completing his medical."
Although no transfer fee was announced by either club, Southampton confirmed it was a "significant fee" with reports putting the figure at £20million for the centre-back, who played all three of Croatia's matches at this summer's World Cup.
Lovren moves to Liverpool after just one year at Southampton, who he joined on a four-year contract from Lyon last summer having previously played for Dinamo Zagreb and Inter Zapresic.
After completing his switch to Brendan Rodgers' side, Lovren - who scored the winning goal for Saints at Anfield last season - told Liverpoolfc.com: "It's a dream come true. I'm happy and glad to be here. I'm proud and can't wait to start. I know we have millions and millions of supporters - Liverpool is more than a club.
"After I played at Anfield last season, I said to myself: 'One day I hope I'll be able to play here for Liverpool'. The fans will know from the first minute that I'm a player that will give 100 per cent on the pitch."
On that previous appearance at Anfield, Lovren added: "Jose Fonte, my defensive partner at Southampton, told me to listen to 'You'll Never Walk Alone' before the first whistle and to enjoy the moment. It was really amazing - I had chills on my arms and it's something that I will never forget. I want to listen to that song every other weekend."
Lovren, who hopes his visa will be completed on Monday so he will be able to travel to the United States on Tuesday to join his new team-mates on their pre-season tour, is one of five new signings at Liverpool this summer.
Aside from England internationals Lambert and Lallana - who it emerged on Friday could miss the start of the season after injuring his knee in training - the Reds have also snapped up Emre Can and Lazar Markovic as they look to build on last season's second-placed finish in the Barclays Premier League.
Liverpool had also been chasing QPR striker Loic Remy, but Press Association Sport understands his proposed move is off after the Reds pulled out due to concerns over the player's medical.
Remy has this week been with the Merseysiders in Boston ahead of what was expected to be the completion of a deal reports suggested would be for around £8million.
With personal terms understood to have been agreed, it was initially thought that problems with paperwork had caused a delay to the transfer being sealed, but it now appears it will not go through at all because of Liverpool's worries relating to the France international's physical condition.
Remy, 27, scored 14 goals in the Barclays Premier League last season for Newcastle while on a season-long loan from QPR and subsequently played for his country at the World Cup.
Back on the pitch, Liverpool made hard work of beating Greek champions Olympiacos 1-0 in a friendly match played in Chicago on Sunday night.
Raheem Sterling scored what proved to be the winner after only five minutes of their International Champions Cup opener, but the Reds could not double their lead and Olympiacos almost equalised in the second half.