Monday 19 February 2018

Littlejohn caps stellar Irish show

The Republic of Ireland women's Team got off to a winning start in Group C of the Cyprus Cup in Larnaca.

It was their biggest win in nine years and four of the five Irish goalscorers notched their first goals at senior international level while Raheny United's Seana Cook made her senior debut.

Diane Caldwell smashed in Aine O'Gorman's cross for the lead on 11 minutes before defender Louise Quinn headed home O'Gorman's corner 15 minutes later.

Northern Ireland debutant Alana McShane scrambled the ball home from a corner on the hour, but the Republic responded magnificently to that set-back and finished very strongly over the last half-hour with goals from Megan Campbell (free-kick), Shannon Smyth and a wonderful team move finished by Ruesha Littlejohn. Ireland's next game is on Friday against South Africa who lost 2-0 to South Korea.

Republic of Ireland – E Byrne (c), L Quinn, Y Tracy, M Campbell, M de Burca, D Caldwell, R Littlejohn, D O'Sullivan, S Smyth, A O'Gorman, S Lawlor. Subs: S Roche for Lawlor (72), C Grant for O'Sullivan (78), S Cooke for de Burca (80), N Murray for Tracy (87)

England make advantage count

IRELAND'S UEFA Regions Cup representatives Leinster & Munster suffered defeat to Jersey in controversial circumstances in their opening Group 6 game in San Marino, both England's goals coming while Ireland were down to 10-men.

Bangor Celtic's Lar Dunne was off the pitch after suffering a broken nose without getting a free. In fact from the resultant throw-in, Jack Cannon's speculative shot travelled all the way to the back of the Irish net. And With Ireland trying to make a substitution England doubled their lead through Savory.

Wayside's Ray Whelehan pulled one back for Gerry Smith's side with an angled volley before Ireland were denied a penalty as Jimmy Carr was wrestled to the ground.

LEINSTER & MUNSTER – B O'Connell, K Hoey, J Walsh, P Breen, C Dillon, N Hoban, L Dunne (J Carr 57), J Lee (S Waters 84), R Whelehan, A Mc Cabe (B Kavanagh 70), L Murtagh.

Ryan strike retains trophy for Carlow

A Ben Ryan header just after the hour mark was enough to see IT Carlow retain the Colleges FAI Umbro Cup in a close decider at Tallaght Stadium. Carlow sub Adam Hanlon set up the winner on 62 minutes with his first taste of the action, the Shelbourne winger crossing for Ryan to head past goalkeeper Cormac O'Brien.

IT CARLOW – C Sexton; C O'Keefe, J Carr, J Scallan, J Dermody; B Ryan, N Heffernan (E Heffernan 89), B O'Mahony, R Foy, A Mulligan; G Shaw (A Hanlon 59).

WATERFORD IT – C O'Brien, C Morrissey, A Heaslip (G Delaney 68), D Mernagh,J Frost; M O'Keeffe, B Nolan, C Coad, D Cooley (AJ Lehane 79), Ian Goulding; Craig Maguire.

REF – P Gleeson (Clare)

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport