Sport League of Ireland

Saturday 16 December 2017

Tough debut for Lee Chin as Bray Wanderers down Wexford Youths

Wexford Youths 1 Bray Wanderers 3

Lee Chin of Wexford Youths
Lee Chin of Wexford Youths

Mark Salmon, Ger Pender and Kevin Lynch punished sloppy defending as Lee Chin’s Wexford Youths’ debut fell flat at Ferrycarrig Park.

It’s just one defeat now in 14 games for Bray with this result confirming their Premier Division status for next season as second bottom Youths slumped to a fourth defeat in five games.

With Wexford star hurler Chin coming straight in for his debut in Youths’ central defence, the home side started brightly, dominating early possession.

Chin twice went up for Craig McCabe long throws in the opening minutes, having a scrambled effort turned out for a corner from the second of them.

Youths remained in command with Paul Murphy mis-controlling a diagonal ball from Andy Mulligan on 15 minutes that would have put him in on goal.

Despite their early dominance, Youths fell behind from Bray’s first attack on 20 minutes.

Alan McNally, threaded a ball in behind the poorly positioned Chin for the run of Jason Marks. And though the winger’s shot was parried by home keeper Graham Doyle, midfielder Salmon followed up to shoot home the loose ball.

Chin was then booked for a rash challenge on Pender on 40 minutes with Hugh Douglas heading powerfully over the Youths’ bar from Karl Moore’s resulting free kick.

As in the first, Youths began the second half on the front foot with Aidan Keenan having a 52nd minute goal disallowed as the whistle had already gone for a high foot.

But once again Youths were undone by poor defending as they conceded a soft second goal right on the hour.

Left-back Andrew O’Connor’s back pass fell way short. That allowed Pender to race in, take the ball around Doyle and slide it into the unguarded net to score for the fourth match running.

Lynch then wrapped it up for Bray on 72 minutes, latching onto a through ball to fire to the corner of Doyle's net.

Chin had a late chance from Jonny Bonner’s 84th minute free kick, but Peter Cherrie made his only save of the night to tip the effort round a post.

Shane Dempsey drilled home Youths' consolation goal three minutes later after Bray failed to clear O’Connor’s corner.

Wexford Youths: Doyle; McCabe, Grace, Chin, O’Connor; Molloy, Dempsey, Bonner, Mulligan (Dunne, h-t); Keenan, Murphy.

Bray Wanderers: Cherrie; Douglas, Kenna, Clancy (Lyons, 76), Kehoe; McNally; Marks (Harding, 79), Salmon, Moore, Lynch; Pender (Lewis, 69).

Referee: James McKell (Tipperary).

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport