Thursday 22 February 2018

Super-sub Clancy the hero as Bray edge five-goal thriller

Bray 3 Derry 2

Anthony Flood of Bray Wanderers acknowledges supporters
Anthony Flood of Bray Wanderers acknowledges supporters
Ronan Curtis of Derry City celebrates

Super-sub Tim Clancy downed Derry for the second time this season as Bray edged a five-goal thriller to climb above Derry into third place.

Having bagged an injury-winner at Maginn Park, the defender came off the bench to clinch the 81st-minute winner at the Carlisle Grounds.

Aaron Greene delivered the corner which led to a back-post scramble, with Clancy forcing the ball over the goal-line to end City’s ten-match top-flight unbeaten run.

The Seagulls took a sixth-minute lead. Kevin Lynch whipped a left-wing cross which Daragh Noone appeared to divert into the net eight-yards off his back-side.

City were back on level terms by the 22nd minute.

From a Barry McNamee free, Nicky Low timed his defence-splitting pass to perfection to release Ronan Curtis, and he steered a low first-time finish past Peter Cherrie from 16 yards.

The Wicklow side restored their advantage two minutes before the interval. Gary McCabe clipped in a free from the left channel and Ryan Brennan planted in a close-range header for his fourth score in his last eight matches.

Derry equalised for a second time just 85 seconds into the second period.

From Aaron McEneff’s clever piece of skill, he fed Nathan Boyle who swivelled to shoot low to the bottom corner of the net from 20 yards.

But Clancy had the last laugh for the Seagulls.

Bray Wanderers – Cherrie; Douglas, Kenna, Foran (Clancy 57), Lynch (Marks 67); Salmon, Noone; Brennan (Moore 80), McCabe, Greene; Flood.

Derry City – Doherty; McDermott, Barry, Monaghan (Ben Doherty 87), Jarvis; McEneff, Low; Daniels (Timlin 83), McNamee, Curtis; Boyle.

Ref – R Hennessy (Clare)

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport