Saturday 19 October 2019

Sean Boyd's scores last minute winner to lift Finn Harps off the bottom

Finn Harps 3 Waterford 2

Finn Harps manager Ollie Horgan
Finn Harps manager Ollie Horgan Newsdesk Newsdesk

Sean Boyd struck a last minute winner for Finn Harps against Waterford United last night to take the Ballyfofey club off the bottom of the Premier Division table.

Boyd tucked the ball beneath Matt Connor from close range from a delicate Mikey Place pass to seal the win. Waterford had only equalised a minute beforehand when Damien Delaney tucked in after Ishmahil Akinade had headed back Georgie Poynton’s corner.

 It was the visitors who took the lead as early as the fourth minute when their first real attack of the contest. Shane Duggan took up possession before feeding the ball to Cory Galvin who slipped in Aaron Drinan to shoot past Peter Burke in the Harps goal.

 However, on 23 minutes, Harps were awarded a free on the edge of the penalty area and Place stepped up to curl the ball past goalkeeper Matt Connor, who got hands on the effort but couldn’t keep it out.

 Then, on 36 minutes, Harps were awarded a penalty when Poynton appeared to catch Liam Walsh with a slap to the face and match referee Paul McLaughlin pointed to the spot. Place did the necessary to shoot past Connor, high to the netminder’s left.

 Harps held firm in the second half for the majority and Alan Reynolds, the Waterford manager, was sent off for holding onto the ball with Place trying to take a throw-in with eight minutes left.


Finn Harps: P Burke; J Kavanagh, N Logue, D O’Reilly; M Gallagher (C Deasy 8), L Walsh (N Boyle 63), T McNamee, J Borg, M Russell; S Boyd, M Place (S Doherty 90+1).


Waterford United: M Connor; G Poynton, R Feely, D Delaney, JJ Lunney; S Duggan, K Chvedukus (S Twine 65); C Galvin (J Martin 88), B Hery, A Drinan; I Akinade.


Referee: P McLaughlin

Online Editors

The Left Wing: Welcome to Irish rugby's biggest week - is an upset on the cards?

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport