| 11.5°C Dublin

Quinn spot-kick wraps up shock Mons victory as Sligo sent packing

Holders Sligo Rovers are out of the FAI Cup after a shock defeat at home to Monaghan United last night.

The two-in-a-row winners conceded twice in the second half, having taken an eighth-minute lead, and finished with 10 men at the Showgrounds.

Mark Quigley's penalty put Rovers ahead, but Tony Griffiths cancelled that out before a fortuitous Jason Marks strike edged the visitors ahead.

Keith Quinn sealed the Bit O'Red's fate with a late penalty, after Alan Keane was shown a straight red card.

Both sides made four changes, with Rovers handing a first start to 16-year-old defender Jake Dykes.

The home side flew out of the traps and dominated the opening quarter, and could have been three goals to the good.

Lee Lynch saw a seventh-minute shot deflected onto the crossbar, while Alan Keane pulled an effort across the face of goal.

But Quigley opened the scoring between those two chances by rifling an eighth-minute penalty to the net after Stephen Maher had fouled Ross Gaynor inside the area.

Maher made up for his error by playing a big role in Monaghan's equaliser on the half-hour mark.

The winger cut in from the right to tee up Griffiths, who expertly curled the ball into the net.

Conor Murphy had a chance for the visitors before that, but he directed his header wide from inside the box, while Monaghan 'keeper Michael Schlingermann made a great stop at the feet of David Cawley on 21 minutes.

Monaghan made two changes early in the second half, with Bobby Ryan and Jason Marks brought on, but it was the introduction of Rovers' Haitian attacker Pascal Millien that excited the home crowd.

However, they were stunned into silenced nine minutes later, as Marks crossed from the left and caught out Gary Rogers at the near post.

Rovers' night went from bad to worse as Keane was red-carded on 77 minutes for an off-the-ball incident.

And Quinn made sure of the win from the spot with six minutes left, keeping his cool to slot home after Danny Ventre fouled Willo McDonagh inside the area.

Sligo Rovers --Rogers, Keane, Peers, McGuinness, Dykes (Millien 63), Lynch (Cretaro 74), Ventre, Cawley, Gaynor, Quigley, North.

Monaghan -- Schlingermann, Whelan (Isichei 68), McMahon, Byrne, Reynor, Maher, McDonagh, Quinn, Dunne (Marks 57), Griffiths, Murphy (Ryan h-t).

Ref -- P McLaughlin.

Irish Independent