Tuesday 24 October 2017

Oguntola stars for five-star Shelbourne

Shelbourne hammered Cabinteely 5-0 in the EA Sports Cup at Tolka Park last night
Shelbourne hammered Cabinteely 5-0 in the EA Sports Cup at Tolka Park last night
Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

Two goals from Sodiq Oguntola and one each from Gavin Boyne, James English and Mark Sandford helped Shelbourne hammer Cabinteely 5-0 in the EA Sports Cup at Tolka Park last night.

Boyne got the better of his former Shamrock Rovers 'B' team-mate Mick Kelly in the eighth minute, after being put through by man of the match Oguntola.

Cabo could have equalised, but Oscar Brennan's powerful shot crashed off the angle of post and crossbar and that was as good as it got for Eddie Gormley's team.

The sides drew 1-1 in the league on Friday night, with Oguntola netting the equaliser against his former club. The Nigerian striker was at it again last night, and got his first in the 61st minute. Conor Keely's ball found Carl Walshe and his cross set up Oguntola to head in from close range.

Oguntola got his second five minutes later before subs English and Sandford put the icing on the cake.

Padraig Cunningham has his shooting boots on in Galway. He netted a hat-trick in just 14 minutes to beat the Mayo League 3-1. Mayo had ex-Sligo man Joseph N'do in their ranks as player-manager.

Cunningham (19) netted in the second, 13th and 16th minutes to send the beaten finalists from last year into the next round.

The FAI have announced that the result of Saturday's abandoned Premier Division game between Sligo Rovers and Finn Harps will be recorded as a draw.

Referee Padraigh Sutton called the game off after a floodlight failure in the main stand at The Showgrounds in the 86th minute was followed by an unsuccessful attempt to fix the problem. The scoreline at the time was 1-1.

Home manager Dave Robertson was keen for the game to continue whereas his Finn Harps counterpart Ollie Horgan expressed the opinion that the fixture should go down as a draw.

The evening’s other game went to penalties as Bluebell United got the better of Drogheda United after a dour scoreless draw.

Chances and thrills were at a premium at a chilly United Park but misses from the spot for Graham Zambra and Mark O’Brien proved to be decisive as Bluebell held their nerve to progress.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport