| 9.1°C Dublin

McBride strikes for 10-man Derry to gun down Shamrock Rovers


Ryan McBride of Derry City passed away at the age of 27. RIP

Ryan McBride of Derry City passed away at the age of 27. RIP


Ryan McBride of Derry City passed away at the age of 27. RIP

Ryan McBride played the captain’s role by heading Derry City’s winner against Shamrock Rovers.

City earned a second successive victory of the campaign thanks to McBride’s 67th-minute close-range effort on a night Stephen Bradley’s side lost for the second time in three games.

Derry even played the final 20 minutes with 10 men after Lukas Schubert was dismissed – yet ran out worthy victors.

Rovers started sluggishly and were lucky to avoid slipping behind inside the opening 30 seconds when Barry McNamee drifted free only to fire straight at Tomer Chencinski.

Rovers were restricted to long-range efforts from Ronan Finn and David McAllister which failed to threaten Ger Doherty.

The veteran stopper was equally comfortable in dealing with a free-kick from a dangerous position 20 yards out but which Brandon Miele couldn’t apply much accuracy on.

If Rovers were given a let-off at the start of the half, they were even luckier on the stroke of the half-time whistle.

Monaghan ghosted into the box to connect with Nicky Low’s left-wing cross only for the unmarked winger to glance his header from eight yards wide.

The Candystripes resumed their foothold after the restart, outfoxing their hosts again from a well-worked corner to almost force the breakthrough.

After being fortunate not be penalised for a Chencinski gathering a back-pass from Daniel Devine, Rovers had no escape when Derry took the lead on 67 minutes.

Aaron McEneff took the corner from the right which swung outwards for McBride to tower high and head towards his goal

While his effort struck his teammate Nathan Boyle, the centre-back was first to follow-up and smash his low drive into the bottom left corner.

Any tactical plans manager Kenny Shiels may have had about pushing for a second goal were jettisoned three minutes after he lost Lukas Schubert to a needless second yellow card for kicking the ball away.

Only once in the final 20 minutes did Rovers threaten to equalise but were unable to capitalise as Darren Meenan headed wide.

SHAMROCK ROVERS - Chencinski; Madden, Devine, Webster, Clarke (Heaney 46); Finn, McAllister (Doona 77), Connolly; Meenan, Miele; Boyd (O’Connor 56).

DERRY CITY - Doherty; Schubert, McBride, Barry, Jarvis; McEneff, Low; Monaghan, McNamee, Curtis; Boyle (Timlin 84).

Ref -  Graham Kelly (Cork)

Online Editors