Sunday 18 March 2018

LOI Wrap: Heary begins managerial career with Bohs victory

Dinny Corcoran, right, Bohemians, celebrates after scoring his side's second goal with team-mates Derek Pender and Keith Buckley
Dinny Corcoran, right, Bohemians, celebrates after scoring his side's second goal with team-mates Derek Pender and Keith Buckley

Owen Heary got his managerial career off to the best possible start with a 3-1 victory over Bray, UCD dented Shamtocj Rovers title hopes with a 1-1 draw in Tallaght, Cork were held to a 2-2 draw by Dundalk and Shels earned a very important win over Limerick.

Bray Wanderers 1 Bohemians 3

Owen HEARY got his League of Ireland managerial career off to a flying start as his Bohemians side claimed a valuable 3-1 win over Bray Wanderers at the Carlisle Grounds.

Ryan McEvoy puts the visitors in front from the penalty spot after 10 minutes when Shane O'Connor fouled Chris Lyons in the area and referee Tomas Connolly had no hesitation in awarding the penalty.

However, Bray got themselves |back on level terms in the 67th |minute through a penalty of their own as Jason Byrne won and scored the spot-kick after going down in |the box after a challenge by Dave Mulcahy. It seemed a harsh decision as there was very little contact.

However, Dinny Corcoran put the visitors back in front in the 79th minute when he fired home from Luke Moore’s cross.

And Corcoran put the result beyond doubt in the 88th minute to seal a highly valuable three points for the Gypsies.


Shelbourne 2 Limerick 1

Shelbourne’s survival hopes got a huge shot in the arm as they battled from a goal down to beat Limerick 2-1 at Tolka Park.

Limerick were edging things in the opening exchanges and hit the front on 17 minutes through Axel Bossekota who finished to the net following good play from Darragh Rainsford and David O’Leary.

Shels responded and could have equalised through a Graham Gartland header soon afterwards but Limerick survived until the break.

Shels were level within seven minutes of the restart through Adam Hanlon after Lee Murtagh had dispossessed Brian O’Callaghan before he slammed to the net.

The league’s bottom side hit the front with 11 minutes to go when Murtagh turned home Sean Brennan’s stinging cross and they held on for a crucial win.


Cork City 2 Dundalk 2

Dundalk struck in the dying minutes to salvage a 2-2 draw against Cork City at Turner’s Cross.

Cork City’s new striker Ciaran Kilduff gave them the lead inside three minutes after he volleyed acrobatically to the net.

Kilduff was denied a second when Brian Gartland cleared his effort off the line and then Gartland was performing heroics at the other end as he headed home Darren Meenan’s free-kick on 23 minutes.

The Rebels were back in front in the 63rd minute after John O’Sullivan fouled Daryl Kavanagh in the area and the striker dusted himself down to slot home the resulting penalty.

Cork looked to be heading to all three points but Dundalk rescued a point in the with two minutes to go when Stephen O’Donnell blasted home Pat Hoban’s knock-down.


Shamrock Rovers 1 UCD 1

Shamrock Rovers blew a great chance of closing on the summit of the Airtricity League after they were held to a 1-1 draw against UCD at Tallaght Stadium.

Eamon Zayed scored his first goal for the Hoops top put them in the lead after 24 minutes.

The home side were dominating proceedings but UCD restored parity on 65 minutes when he headed home Dean Clark’s cross.

UCD lived dangerously for the remainder of the game but held on fro a priceless point which all but ends Rovers title ambitions.

Online Editors

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport