Thursday 22 February 2018

Kenny unfazed as fans protest

Bray Wanderers 3 Wexford Youths 0

Kenny: "I’m just concentrating on the football. That’s none of my business," Picture credit: Seb Daly / SPORTSFILE Sportsdesk

Bray Wanderers manager Harry Kenny claimed he was oblivious to a fans' protest calling for the O'Connor brothers to resign.

Fans demonstrated outside the Carlisle Grounds before Saturday's match after the club was forced to condemn general manager Martin O'Connor for comments he made on social media last month.

O'Connor was accused of racism and homophobia as a result of comments he had posted online.

Club chairman Denis O'Connor, a brother of Martin - defended the comments on RTE Radio's 'Liveline'.

"I didn't see it (the protest). I didn't hear about it. I'm just concentrating on the football. That's none of my business," Kenny said after the game.

Kenny instead praised the "hard work" of Andrew Lewis, Dean Kelly and Karl Moore whose goals earned Bray their first victory of his tenure and enabled them to leapfrog the visitors and move further away from the relegation zone.

"You'd have to be confident, we're getting better. We made a couple of signings last week (John Sullivan and Tim Clancy) that will strengthen us."

Youths boss Shane Keegan claimed Wanderers' ability "to splash the cash" in making these signings helped Bray to their first league victory since April.

"We well and truly have the lowest budget in the league this year, but we still fancy our chances of finishing out of the bottom two," Keegan said.

"Off the top of my head, I'm flabbergasted that that's a 3-0 scoreline. They deserved the win but how it's 3-0 is beyond me."

Kelly drew first blood for the home side when his shot beat goalkeeper Graham Doyle to his bottom left-hand corner at the half-hour mark.

Doyle was beaten twice more after the break - first by an unmarked Lewis who rose high to meet the cross of Gareth McDonagh and found the back of the net.

Keegan's men were again caught out by another second-half cross when Moore added the third and final score at the far post from a Dylan Connolly cross.

Both sides failed to land a punch in the first half hour, with Youths making Bray's Peter Cherrie work the harder of the two goalkeepers.

Danny Furlong and Paul Murphy forced saves from Cherrie but he easily parried away their attempts on goal.

BRAY WANDERERS - Cherrie; Harding, Douglas, Kenna, McDonagh; Salmon (Noone 83), Brennan, Moore (Noble 86), Connolly; Kelly (Pender 73) , Lewis.

WEXFORD YOUTHS - Doyle; R Delaney, G Delaney, McCabe, Mulligan (Friel 90); Furlong, Molloy (Ledwith 90), Kenny (Dunne 54), O'Keeffe, Bonner, Murphy.

REF - G Kelly

Indo Sport

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport