Saturday 19 October 2019

Kelly fires Dundalk to the brink

Waterford 0 Dundalk 1

Dundalk's Daniel Kelly celebrates scoring his side's winner against Waterford. Photo: Sportsfile
Dundalk's Daniel Kelly celebrates scoring his side's winner against Waterford. Photo: Sportsfile

Dundalk march towards their fifth title in six years as they racked up their seventh league win in a row at the RSC.

Waterford had their moments to cause an upset but failed to build on a promising start by conceding against the run of play seven minutes before the break.

Dan Kelly, who bagged a hat-trick on his last visit to the south-east, proved a menace again by supplying the solitary goal from close range.

Struggling Waterford couldn't build upon a bright opening.

Tom Holland's ball into the box on 12 minutes sprung Dundalk's offside trap but Michael O'Connor delayed his shot enough to smother the danger. Then Sam Bone missed a sitter by failing to connect with George Poyton's free-kick.

Eventually, the champions began to assert their control and grabbed the winner seven minutes before the break.

Rob Slevin was far too casual in trying to side-step the attention of Pat Hoban and only succeeded in slipping.

As Waterford appealed vainly for a foul, Hoban cut in towards goal before squaring to Kelly for a close-in finish.

The concession deflated any early momentum generated by a Waterford side without a home win in the league since May.

Zack Elbouzedi wasted a good chance from a free-kick shortly after the restart by blazing the ball over.

At the other end, the slick movement of the champions always posed a threat on the counter-attack.

Michael Duffy, having a quiet night aside from one first-half shot that veered over, darted to the end-line. His cutback found Kelly sprinting from the other side yet Kevin Lynch blocked the goal-bound shot.

Vinny Perth had the luxury of leaving out Patrick McEleney but the play-maker was only on the pitch as a substitute when he tested Connor with a low curler.

The Blues mustered a couple of late half-chances. Substitute Shane Duggan scuffed his shot with eight minutes left and Lilywhites defender Dean Jarvis was on hand to block Bone's effort after Rogers had spilled a routine cross.

WATERFORD: M Connor; S Bone, R Feely, R Slevin, K Lynch; T Holland (S Duggan 66), G Poynton; C Galvin (W Figueria 60), JJ Lunney (D O'Halloran 79), Z Elbouzedi; M O'Connor.

DUNDALK: G Rogers; S Gannon, A Boyle, D Cleary, D Jarvis; C Shields, R Benson (S Murray 83); D Kelly (P McEleney 79), J McGrath, M Duffy; P Hoban (G Kelly 87).

Referee: Derek Tomney (Dublin)

Irish Independent

The Left Wing: Welcome to Irish rugby's biggest week - is an upset on the cards?

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport