Wednesday 22 November 2017

Healy's late strike enough to secure points for Cork

Cork City 1 St Patrick's Athletic 0

Cork City manager John Caulfield celebrates after victory over St Patrick's Athletic. Diarmuid Greene / SPORTSFILE
Cork City manager John Caulfield celebrates after victory over St Patrick's Athletic. Diarmuid Greene / SPORTSFILE
Colin Healy, Cork City, celebrates after scoring his side's first goal. Diarmuid Greene / SPORTSFILE
Mark Quigley, St Patrick's Athletic, is shown a red card by referee Tomas Connolly. Diarmuid Greene / SPORTSFILE

An incredible 88th-minute strike by Colin Healy proved a fitting winner to a fantastic game between Cork City and St Patrick's Athletic at Turner's Cross.

With second place on the line the game was poised with two minutes remaining, before Healy latched onto a half-cleared Billy Dennehy corner with a stunning overhead kick. In truth it was no more than City deserved, making the most of the running while the visitors dealt on the break.

The win restores the six-point cushion in second place, and maintains pressure on league leaders Dundalk heading into the final phase of fixtures.

City had the best of the opening running, Mark O'Sullivan shooting wide from 15 yards out before setting up John O'Flynn in front of goal, only to be denied by a brilliant Killian Brennan covering tackle.

O'Sullivan himself should have opened the scoring 17 minutes in, but his header at the back post was terrifically saved by Brendan Clarke before the visiting net minder was at his best to deny Dan Murray just before the break.

John Caulfield introduced Danny Morrissey into the City attack to inject some pace and from there the game began to open up with both sides looking to break quickly. First O'Sullivan should've done better from an excellent Ross Gaynor through ball, but could only head over.

The Dublin outfit had a fantastic chance to open the scoring on the hour mark, as Keith Fahey received the ball right in front of goal, but the former Irish international saw his shot well saved by Mark McNulty, before he hit the rebound over.

The game was turning into a fantastic end-to-end battle, and City's chances were boosted further in the 78th minute as Mark Quigley received his second yellow for a seemingly innocent tackle on Mark O'Sullivan, before Healy stole the points and the show in the dying embers.

Cork City – McNulty; Dunleavy, McSweeney, Murray, Gaynor; Kearney (D Morrissey 54), G Morrissey, Healy, Dennehy (O'Leary 89); O'Flynn (O'Shea 71), O'Sullivan.

St Patrick's Athletic – Clarke; Brennan, Browne, Bolger, Bermingham; McCormack, Fahey, Quigley, Greene (O'Brien 86); Byrne, Fagan.

REF – T Connolly (Dublin)

Press Association

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport