Wednesday 22 January 2020

Galway move back into top three after dominant second half in Wexford

Wexford Youths 0 Galway United 2

Image: PA
Image: PA

Paul Buttner

Maintaining his sparkling form in front of goal, Vinny Faherty scored twice to move Galway United back up to third place in the Premier Division table.

Having scored in his previous two league games, Faherty broke the deadlock at Ferrycarrig Park five minutes into the second half.

Chris Kenny’s foul on Stephen Walsh was clinically punished by Tommy Dunne’s westerners.

Captain Ryan Connolly whipped the free kick into area where Faherty found the far corner of the net with a well-placed header.

Galway should have been further ahead on 63 minutes. First, Faherty’s effort was bravely blocked by Youths’ defender Stephen Last.

Home goalkeeper Graham Doyle then excelled with the save of the night, getting down to his right to keep out Padraic Cunningham’s low drive.

In what was a replica of their opening goal, Galway doubled their lead six minutes later.

Again Connolly put his diagonal free kick into the area for Faherty to rise at the far post to head past Doyle for his seventh goal of the season.

John Sullivan was inches from a third goal for Galway six minutes later. Faherty turned in the area to set up the midfielder who cracked a right-foot shot off Doyle's crossbar.

Reeling from last week’s 4-0 defeat at St Pat’s, Wexford might have put it right behind them with a real chance after just two minutes when Paul Murphy threaded Andy Mulligan in on goal. Galway keeper Conor Winn was fully alert to the danger and was off his line quickly to save with his feet.

Doyle soon saw action at the other end, though, back-pedalling frantically to push away Faherty's flicked shot after Marc Ludden picked him out from a throw.

Again Doyle came to Youths’ rescue just past the half hour with his second save of the first half. Ludden was again the instigator on the left flank, putting Cunningham in on goal, with Doyle out promptly to save.

Youths’ Murphy might have done better with an opening on 37 minutes, but his lob had just a little too much purchase on it as it dropped wide of Winn’s far post.

Wexford Youths: Doyle; McCabe, G. Delaney, Last, Ledwith; Friel (Whittle, 79), Bonner, Kenny, Mulligan; Molloy; Murphy.

Galway United: Winn; Horgan, Sinnott, Folan (Cantwell, 23), Walsh; Shanahan, Sullivan, Connolly, Ludden; Cunningham (Keating, 85), Faherty.


Referee: Adriano Reale (Kildare).

Online Editors

The Left Wing: The Saracens scandal, Leinster's nightmare draw and Andy Farrell's tough calls

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport