| 12.3°C Dublin

FAI Cup wrap: Double still on for Dundalk; Wins for Derry and Bray


Dundalk players celebrate their third goal. FAI Cup, Third Round, Galway United v Dundalk, Eamonn Deasy Park, Galway. Picture credit: Sam Barnes / SPORTSFILE

Dundalk players celebrate their third goal. FAI Cup, Third Round, Galway United v Dundalk, Eamonn Deasy Park, Galway. Picture credit: Sam Barnes / SPORTSFILE

Dundalk players celebrate their third goal. FAI Cup, Third Round, Galway United v Dundalk, Eamonn Deasy Park, Galway. Picture credit: Sam Barnes / SPORTSFILE

Five clubs booked their place in the FAI Cup quarter-finals tonight. Check out how all the action transpired below.

Tolka Rovers 0 - 4 Killester

KILLESTER UNITED secured an FAI Cup quarter-final berthby seeing off a depleted Tolka Rovers.

First half goals from David Lacey and Alan Talbot set the visitors on their way, with another apiece from the duo after the break sealing a comprehensive victory.

Though Tolka goalkeeper Paul Tancred had denied Lacey with a string of saves early on, he has helpless to prevent him supplying the opener from close range on the half hour.

Killester added a second five minutes later when Mark Ryan combined with Lacey to tee up Talbot’s low shot from eight yards.

The tie was killed off  eight minutes after the break when  Lacey was first to react to a corner kick. Talbot dribbled in from the left with 10 minutes left before tapping in the fourth.

TOLKA  ROVERS – Tancred; Eccles, Henderson, Dunne, Lynch (Lewis 46); Valentine (McGarry 46), McGuinness, Drew, O’Toole, Flaherty; Murphy (Evans 78).

KILLESTER UTD: Donoghue; Rogers, Mathews, McCormack, Hand; McKay (Browning 64), Ryan, Chambers, Kavanagh (Farrell 73); Talbot (O’Driscoll 80), Lacey.

Galway United FC 1 - 4 Dundalk

League leaders Dundalk gained revenge for the EA Sports Cup semi-final defeat when recovered from an early deficit to waltz to victory at Eamonn Deacy Park.

They were well on their way to the last eight when they went in leading 3-1 at the end of an entertaining first half.

The Halfway Line Newsletter

Get the lowdown on the Irish football scene with our soccer correspondent Daniel McDonnell and expert team of writers with our free weekly newsletter.

This field is required

Top scorer Richie Towell made it six goals in four games against Galway United this season.

The 24-year-old bagged a hat-trick when the sides met in April and this time he got Dundalk’s second in another accomplished display.

That was Towell’s 17th of the season and added to Brian Gartland equaliser after Jake Keegan gave Galway a surprise lead.

Former Galway centre-half Paddy Barrett got the third and Sean Gannon made it four as Dundalk eased through.

Galway took the lead after ten minutes when Keegan headed home a pinpoint cross from Gary Shanahan.

That was two in a week from the American but Dundalk continued to press and Ciaran Kilduff almost levelled with a header.

It looked inevitable that the equaliser would come and it did in the 23rd minute when the massive figure of Gartland became the latest to punish the Galway defence from a set-piece.

Chris Shields sent a volley inches wide as the visitors took control.

Towell put them in front when Sean Gannon pumped a long ball forward and the former Celtic youngster ghosted in behind the Galway defence and lobbed Ger Hanley.

It got worse for the hosts two minutes before the break: Barrett was again unmarked when he powered home a header from a Darren Meenan corner and Dundalk took a 3-1 lead into half-time.

Galway had to score first after the break to stay in the game but Curran’s fantastic shot from outside the area hit Gabriel Sava’s post, bounced agonisingly across the goal and went wide.

It wasn’t Galway’s night, and they would have been further behind had Cormac Raftery and Paul Sinnott not cleared off the line as Dundalk pushed for more.

Towell almost added to his tally when Sam Oji presented him with an inviting opportunity but he hit the post.

However, Gannon made up for that with a sensational strike late on as Dundalk wrapped up the win in impressive fashion at the end of an entertaining cup tie.

Galway United – Hanley; Raftery, Sinnott, Oji, Horgan; Shanahan, Byrne (McConnell 48), O’Leary (Molloy 85), Melody (O’Laoi 77); Curran, Keegan.

Dundalk – Sava; Gannon, Gartland, Barrett (Maguire 82), Grimes; Mountney, Towell, Shields, Meenan; Byrne (Finn 70), Kilduff (McMillen 85).

Ref – R Rodgers (Dublin).

Derry City 3 - 0 Drogheda United

DERRY City eased into the quarter-final of the FAI Cup after they produced a fantastic display to see off Drogheda United.

In truth the Brandywell men could have won by a bigger margin, as they dominated things from start to finish.

City did take the lead on 18 minutes when Patrick McEleney headed home past Schlingermann, after Cillian Morrison’s inch perfect centre had created the chance.

The woodwork came to United’s rescue on 35 minutes after the lively Timlin saw his 15 yard effort come back off the post.

Derry scored twice in a matter of minutes, firstly Morrison made no mistake from close range on 65 minutes and soon after Barry McNamee fired home from long range.

Derry City – Doherty, Cornwall, McBride, Barry; Morrison, McEneff, Lowry, McNamee, Jarvis; McEleney, Timlin. Subs: McEleney for Quigley (72); Curtis for Timlin (76); Daniels for Lowry (83)

Drogheda United – Schlingermann, Daly, Byrne, O’Reilly, Marks; Duffy, Thornton, Hughes, Mulvenna; Bayly; McKenna. Subs: Gorman for McKenna (55); Brennan & Maher for Thornton & Bayly (72)

Bohemian FC 0 - 1 Bray Wanderers

Peter McGlynn’s controversial first-half goal ensured Bray Wanderers got the better of Bohemians for the second time in just four days.

McGlynn inadvertently netted what proved the decisive strike after four minutes, when Bohs goalkeeper Dean Delany spilled his wayward cross, and the assistant referee quickly signalled the ball had crossed the line.

Dalymount Park was momentarily stunned before the home fans erupted in anger. The hosts eventually regrouped though, and began asking questions of Wanderers. However, Peter Cherrie’s goal was rarely under serious threat.

After the restart, much like they had done for a majority of the opening period, Bray soaked up the hosts’ pressure and looked to hit them on the break. It proved telling tactic, as an equaliser never arrived, and Wanderers now march on to the quarter-finals

Bohemians – Delany; Murphy, Prendergast, Best (Moore 87), Fitzgerald; Lopes, Buckley (Byrne77), Evans, Kavanagh, Akinade, Mulcahy.

Bray Wanderers – Cherrie; Barker, Douglas, McNally, Cooney; Cassidy; McGlynn (McDonagh74), Lyons, McEvoy, Scully (Fitzgerald 87); Kelly.

Ref – G Kelly (Cork)

Sheriff YC 2 - 2 Athlone Town

A sublime strike from John Rock earned non-league Sheriff a fully deserved replay in Lissywollen on Monday night as they twice came from behind at Clontarf Astro.

First Division side Athlone were ahead on 12 minutes when Daniel Purdy’s through pass put Philly Gorman in to slide the ball past Sheriff captain Lee Murphy.

But poor defending was clinically punished to present Sheriff with their equaliser eight minute later. Kevin Lynch crossed from the left for the unmarked Stewart Glen to head home.

Gorman got his second of the game when sending Murphy the wrong way from the penalty spot on 58 minutes.

But Sheriff hit back with the goal of the game from striker Rock who smashed home a stunning volley on the hour.

Sheriff YC – L Murphy; Flood, Kavanagh, Browne; Lester; Higgins, D. Dunne, T Dunne, Lynch; Rock, Glen (S Murphy 87).

Athlone Town – Dunican; Friel, C Dunne, Collins (O‘Donnell, h-t), S Dunne; O’Neill (Doyle 31), Mulroney, Boyne, O’Connor; Gorman, Purdy.

Ref – R Harvey (Dublin)

Cork City 4 - 0 St. Patrick's Athletic

Read report here

Most Watched