Wednesday 26 June 2019

FAI Cup round-up: Shamrock Rovers dumped out by Drogheda; Dundalk back on track and Pat's cruise past Inchicore in derby

Sinclair Armstrong of Shamrock Rovers reacts during the FAI Cup defeat to Drogheda
Sinclair Armstrong of Shamrock Rovers reacts during the FAI Cup defeat to Drogheda

Teenager William Hondermarck the star man as Drogheda United shocked Shamrock Rover at United Park.

Rovers manager Stephen Bradley won the cup with United as a player in 2005 but the Hoops' long wait for another success in this competition will now extend into a 32nd year after Lee Grace's first-half red card left the writing on the wall for the side from Tallaght.

Rovers were the better side before the game's pivotal moment arrived in the 23rd minute.

Hondermarck, the rangy 17-year-old midfielder making just his second senior start for the club, was hauled down in the area by Lee after playing a neat one-two with Chris Lyons.

The Rovers defender was shown a straight red card by referee Paul McLaughlin much to his and his manager’s dismay and Lyons confidently dispatched the spot kick past Alan Mannus.

DROGHEDA – Skinner; Farragher, Gallagher, Kelly; Deasy, Purdy (Dillon, 66), Hyland, Hondermarck, Kane; Doyle (Manley, 72), Lyons (Duffy, 90+4).

SHAMROCK ROVERS – Mannus; O’Brien, Lopes, Grace, S Kavanagh; Bone (Miele, 68), Finn, Watts; B Kavanagh (Greene, 46), Coustrain (Armstrong, 80), Shaw.

REF – P McLaughlin


Inchicore 0 St Pat's 5

ST PATRICK'S ATHLETIC took advantage of Leon Fahy-Byrne's second-half red card to put five goals past the amateurs of Inchicore Athletic at Richmond Park.

Jake Keegan and Conan Byrne scored twice following Darragh Markey's opener.

The sides were deadlocked at the break but left-back Fahy-Byrne was sent off for a second yellow card just after the interval.

The dam burst nine minutes later as Markey fired low past Reilly.

Keegan made it two and the Canadian won the penalty that led to Byrne making it three.

Keegan then added his second before Byrne smashed home the pick of the goals.

INCHICORE ATHLETIC – P Reilly; S Plunkett, M Donohue, D Roche, L Fahy-Byrne; D Howe (K Malone 58), D Power, J Cronin (C O’Rourke 79), C Bolton, D Geraghty; S Kinch (S Fay 21).

ST PATRICK’S ATHLETIC – B Clarke; S Madden, L Desmond, K Toner, I Bermingham; K Brennan, J Lennon, D Markey; R Brennan (C Clifford 62), D Clarke (J Keegan 62), I Turner (C Byrne 80).

REF – Ben Connolly.


Dundalk 3 Cobh Ramblers 0

After seeing their Europa League and EA Sports Cup hopes crumble in the past 10 days, Dundalk steadied the ship as Cobh's hopes of repeating last Monday's shock victory over Stephen Kenny’'s charges were ended by goals from Ronan Murray (2) and Jamie McGrath.

Michael Duffy was denied by Adam Mylod with just 90 seconds on the clock but the visitors posed problems again with Gary Rogers having to parry a Jaze Kabia effort after some indecision by Daniel Cleary before Cobh skipper Shane O'Connor curled an effort agonisingly wide after Brian Gartland needlessly coughed up possession in the 11th minute.

Cobh fell behind in somewhat controversial fashion just past the half hour when Murray tapped a Michael Duffy cross home from close-range with the visitors furious that the assistant kept his flag down.

The second-half started in much the same way as the first with Dundalk looking out of sorts on the ball but they gave themselves a two goal cushion in the 52nd minute when McGrath gave Mylod the eyes to tuck home a Dean Jarvis cross.

And Murray added a third with five minutes remaining when he fired home a cross by the ever willing Sean Gannon to keep Dundalk's hopes of a fourth successive FAI Cup final appearance alive.

DUNDALK: Rogers; Gannon, Gartland, Cleary, Jarvis; Chvedukas, Benson (Massey 57); McGrath, Murray, Duffy (Connolly 69); Kelly (Byrne 76).

COBH RAMBLERS: A Mylod; Taylor, Walker, McSweeney, I Mylod; Fernandes, O’Connor, O’Riordan (Donnellan 74), Hurley (Leonard 61), Christopher (Kenny 67); Kabia.

REFEREE: Rob Rogers



Shelbourne 4  Athlone Town 0

It was too easy for Shelbourne in this all-First Division clash at Tolka Park.

Luckless Athlone found themselves 1-0 down five minutes from the break when Nika Kalandarishvili turned the ball into his own net when a free from Lorcan Fitzgerald fell to Paddy Kavanagh and his effort came of the unfortunate Athlone midfielder.

Kavanagh was lively for Shels and he doubled their advantage in the 61st minute when he finished Karl Moore's perfect cross to the net.

Shelbourne scored their third goal in the 84th minute when subs Shane Farrell and Dayle Rooney combined for Greg Moorehouse to shoot home from close range. In stoppage time Fitzgerald added a fourth after he was played in by Moore.

Shelbourne: Delany; Collins (McEnteer 81) Prendergast, Wilson, Fitzgerald; Moore, Byrne, Kavanagh (Farrell 78), English; Moorehouse, Evans (Rooney 74).

Athlone Town: Lawless; Brilly, Issaka, Ekanem, Doyle (Stokes 36); Fletcher, J Hogan, Kalandarishvili, Grogan (Hamzat 71), McCullough (K Hogan 65); Mukete

Referee: A Reale (Dublin)


UCD  2  Pike Rovers  0

Goals from Timmy Molloy and Conor Davis gave UCD a far more convincing victory at the Belfield Bowl than the scoreline would suggest.

Pike, last season's beaten FAI Junior Cup finalists, were on the back foot from the off against the First Division leaders.

Neill Farrugia shot into the side netting while a header from Maxi Kouogun was saved by visiting keeper Gary Neville before UCD were deservedly in front on 24 minutes lead.

Midfielder Molloy, involved in the build up, was on had to shoot home the rebound following Neville parrying his initial shot, after a scuffed effort from Davis broke to him in the area.

Pike remained in the game into the second half with Stephen McGann working Conor Kearns in the home goal with a crisp half volley from distance five minutes in.

But UCD continued to dominate, their intricate passing game carving Pike open just past the hour. Striker Davis wasted the chance, though, blazing over the top when he should have hit the target.

Neville then made saves from Jason McClelland and Greg Sloggett with the College pressure finally telling with the arrival of their second goal on 86 minutes.

Collecting a pass deep in the inside left channel, Davis cleverly dribbled past several defenders before hooking the ball over the advancing Neville for a delightful solo goal.

UCD: Kearns; Tobin, Kouogun, Collins, Osam; O’Neill, Sloggett (Doyle, 81), Molloy (Mahdy, 71); Farrugia (McDonald, 90), Davis, McClelland.

Pike Rovers: Neville; W. O’Donovan (Keeley, 55), Lipper, E. O’Donovan, O’Malley (Hanafin, 61); Rainsford, Walsh, Kavanagh, Hanrahan; McGann, Daly.

Referee: Alan Patchell (Dublin).


Online Editors

The Throw-In: Why Kerry are not top contenders to challenge Dublin in All-Ireland race

In association with Bord Gáis Energy

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport