Tuesday 24 October 2017

Early barrage sets Cork City on the way and ends winless run

Cork City 3 Finn Harps 1

A pair of early goals helped Cork City to end their draw streak in the League of Ireland as they took the points against Finn Harps at Turner’s Cross.

Having dropped points against Sligo Rovers, Wexford Youths and Galway United, John Caulfield’s side couldn’t afford another slip and they produced a better performance, though they did have to play the last 35 minutes with only ten men after Kenny Browne was sent off.

City, who beat Waterford United 7-0 in the EA Sports Cup on Monday night, had three changes from the 2-2 draw with Galway United last week and two of the inclusions – Gearóid Morrissey and Seán Maguire – scored the goals which put them in command from the off.

Just over 90 seconds had elapsed when Morrissey took a shot from 20 yards. While Richard Brush would probably have saved it, the ball took a deflection off Packie Mailey which wrong-footed the goalkeeper and City were in the lead. They didn’t have long to wait to double that.

From a good Stephen Dooley corner from the left, Maguire found himself unmarked in the six-yard box and his header to the corner gave Brush no chance.

Despite giving themselves such a cushion in the game’s nascent stages, they weren’t able to push on in the remainder of the first half, despite having the better of the play.

The opening exchanges in the second half were quiet, but a flashpoint developed on 55 when Browne caught Brush late after a corner. While Dave Scully reacted, Browne was dismissed and the Harps striker booked. It affected the flow of the game little though, and City sub Karl Sheppard wrapped up the win on 76 after good work by Maguire.

Ryan Curran got a late goal for Harps, but it was nothing more than a consolation.


CORK CITY –  McNulty; Dunleavy, Bennett, Browne, O’Connor; Bolger, G Morrissey; Beattie (D Morrissey 77), Buckley, Dooley (Sheppard 77); Maguire (O’Sullivan 77).

FINN HARPS – Brush (Gallagher 61); Boyle, McNulty, Mailey, Coll; Curran, Foy (McNamee 10), Harkin, Houston, Hanlon (Flatley 25); Scully.

Ref – P Sutton (Clare)

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport