Wednesday 22 November 2017

Dunne delight as Galway stun Saints

St Patrick's Athletic 1 Galway United 3

Galway United's John O'Sullivan celebrates scoring his side's second goal of the game. Photo: David Fitzgerald / Sportsfile
Galway United's John O'Sullivan celebrates scoring his side's second goal of the game. Photo: David Fitzgerald / Sportsfile
Galway United's John O'Sullivan scores his side's second goal of the game. Photo: David Fitzgerald / Sportsfile
Galway United players celebrate scoring their first goal. Photo: David Fitzgerald / Sportsfile

Cian O'Connell

Throughout the winter months while he gradually stitched a squad together, Galway United manager Tommy Dunne was adamant the Tribesmen had the potential to glean a morale-boosting victory like this.

Galway took only one point from 12 fixtures against Dundalk, Cork City, Shamrock Rovers, and Pat's last year so Dunne was especially eager to improve that record.

There was some ambition in his selection as Ruairi Keating partnered Vinny Faherty in attack as Dunne opted for a classic 4-4-2 tactical set-up.

From first whistle until last, Galway were purposeful and passionate, ensuring St Patrick's Athletic were utterly frustrated at the death. Galway deserved this triumph as late goals from John Sullivan and substitute Enda Curran sealed this triumph.

A reasonable crowd braved the gnawing Inchicore cold, but a grim first half provided little cheer or encouragement.

David Cawley was neat and tidy, knitting the play together for the Saints, but that was one of the few positive features before the break.

Four new signings were included in the Pat's starting XI so the locals in the 1,626 crowd were keen to examine how Liam Buckley's team would fare.

As the first half evolved, Pat's enjoyed some encouraging moments, with Cawley skipping about craving involvement. Another winter recruit Graham Kelly unleashed a 28th-minute effort that went over the bar as the Saints pushed for an opener.

Galway's defence, though, was being well marshalled by Paul Sinnott and Stephen Folan and the Tribesmen were content to depart at the break on terms.

Considering the trouble Galway encountered in these type of fixtures in 2015, Dunne cut a satisfied figure departing for the dressing rooms at the interval.

A minute after the restart, everything wasn't so rosy for the visitors as Pat's punished a lapse in concentration.

Billy Dennehy's right-wing cross was met by a splendid Christy Fagan header and suddenly Galway, who had been so compact earlier, were trailing.

Galway rallied, with John Sullivan chalking up a decent tackle count, and parity was restored in the 58th minute.

A mazy Faherty dribble manufactured space and the former Saint confidently equalised.

Sullivan and skipper Ryan Connolly were dovetailing nicely for Galway, who fashioned a couple of further opportunities.

Curran clipped a 65th-minute attempt wide, while Pat's custodian Brendan Clarke had to be alert when gathering a Sullivan effort.

Dennehy was offering glimpses of his ability and went close before Fagan was denied by a smart reflex save from Conor Winn as Pat's poured forward in search of a winner.

Amazingly, Galway pounced with seven minutes remaining as Connolly's purposeful free-kick was headed home by Sullivan. In stoppage time, Curran decorated Galway's success with a brilliant insurance goal.

ST PAT'S ATH - Clarke; O'Brien, D Dennehy, Hoare, Bermingham; McEleney, Cawley, Kelly (Timlin 72); Byrne, Fagan (Corcoran 79), B Dennehy.

GALWAY UTD - Winn; Horgan, Sinnott, Folan, Walsh; Shanahan (Melody 77), Sullivan, Connolly, Devaney (Cantwell 85); Keating (Curran 45), Faherty.

REF - R Harvey (Dublin)

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport