Thursday 18 January 2018

Dundalk recover from Gary Rogers howler to claim draw against gutsy Hoops

Dundalk 1 Shamrock Rovers 1

Brian Gartland of Dundalk celebrate's after scoring his side's first goal during the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division match between Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers at Oriel Park, Dundalk in Co. Louth. Photo by David Maher/Sportsfile
Brian Gartland of Dundalk celebrate's after scoring his side's first goal during the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division match between Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers at Oriel Park, Dundalk in Co. Louth. Photo by David Maher/Sportsfile
Daniel McDonnell

Daniel McDonnell

THIS was a big point for Shamrock Rovers and an even bigger one for Cork City.

Dundalk dropped points on their return to league business in a game where the bare facts followed the same path as their famous draw in Alkmaar last Thursday.

Specifically, the concession of a poor goal was followed by a set piece leveller to ensure a share of the spoils.

This time, there was no cause for celebration. Stephen Kenny's charges were expected to take full points from the visit of a youthful Shamrock Rovers outfit that had shipped a total of eight goals to Cork in their last two outings.

They fought hard for Stephen Bradley here, and this gives them the platform to go on and challenge for a European place.

Dundalk now know that nothing less than three points will do from Friday's visit of Derry City.

Otherwise, they will have handed the title initiative right back to Cork who are now five points behind with a game in hand.

Dundalk were heralded for their European exploits as they entered the pitch and they started like a team that was determined to bring the good vibes from Holland into this fixture.

Instead, they found themselves behind at the interval after another incident to forget for goalkeeper Gary Rogers.

He botched an unwise backpass from Andy Boyle with a dreadful touch taking the ball away from him and into the path of the grateful Gary Shaw who passed into the empty net.

That came just after the half hour mark, off the back of a reasonable spell for Rovers who had regrouped after riding their luck in the early exchanges as Dundalk moved the ball quicker and found joy.

Their momentum was checked somewhat by a rash tackle from youngster Sean Boyd on Daryl Horgan that could easily have resulted in a red card.

His dangerous challenge resulted in a yellow but, fortunately, Horgan escaped injury when it initially looked grim.

He had helped to create an early chance for Sean Gannon and was prominent towards the interval as the hosts ploughed bodies forward in search of an equaliser.

Patrick McEleney came closest with a left footer that smashed off the woodwork with Robbie Benson incapable of converting the rebound.

Rovers were opened up on a couple of occasions when Dane Massey ventured forward to overlap, yet a makeshift side - with regular right full Simon Madden on the left - did have experience in valuable areas with Stephen McPhail and David Webster manning the engine room efficiently.

Kenny looked to address the situation with some half time surgery. John Mountney summoned for Benson with the champions seeking greater energy and physicality in the final third.

The strong running of lone striker Dave McMillan up front was also used as an outlet as they attempted to stretch the Dubliners and they restored parity from that method when he was fouled by Rob Cornwall chasing a ball down the channel.

It was a questionable call off the back of some persistent fouls and Rovers struggled to regroup. McEleney sent in a dangerous right footer which was dispatched by a trademark bullet header from Brian Gartland

That set up a half an hour which mainly consisted of Dundalk pressure.

Kenny has gone public on his dissatisfaction with the number of penalties that Cork have been awarded - including the winner in Donegal on Monday night - and he was unhappy when Massey was booked for diving in the box when he did appear to be pushed by Webster.

Aside from that, though, Dundalk were finding it difficult to really find space in the box with Rovers defending manfully and also running down the clock when necessary in a game packed with stoppages.

There was another delay when Bradley was sent to the stands for kicking the ball away when it came his direction in the midst of a heated exchange between both sets of players.

With three minutes to go, Dundalk did call Barry Murphy into action when an intelligent right footer from Horgan drew a fingertip save.

And the visiting netminder was inspired again at the death as, remarkably, the match officials produced a board showing eight minutes of added time.

They nearly grabbed the winner at the very end when a frantic scramble included a goalline clearance from Webster and a close range stop from Murphy to deny sub Dean Shiels.

Kenny will reflect on this match as a missed opportunity.

Dundalk: Rogers, Gannon, Gartland, Boyle, Massey; O'Donnell, Finn (Shiels 87); McEleney, Benson (Mountney 45), Horgan; McMillan (Kilduff 76)

Shamrock Rovers: Murphy, Hanney (O'Connor 82), Cornwall,Heaney, Madden; Webster, McPhail; Clarke, Shaw (Cregg 70), McCabe; Boyd (Dobbs 82)

Referee: R Rogers

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport