Sport League of Ireland

Monday 23 October 2017

Dundalk go six points clear after late Gartland goal seals victory over Cork

1 August 2014; Dundalk's Brian Gartland celebrates after scoring his side's second goal
1 August 2014; Dundalk's Brian Gartland celebrates after scoring his side's second goal

A late goal from Brian Gartland saw Dundalk go six points clear at the top of the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division.

Dundalk imposed Cork’s first home defeat in 14 months and few would bet against the Lilywhites winning a first league title in 19 years.

The home side had just drawn level through Darren Dennehy when a free kick into the Cork area wasn’t dealt with and defender Gartland poked home following a scramble.

Dundalk took the lead in the 15th minute when the ball fell invitingly for Richie Towell, who was able to finish smartly from the edge of the box.

Elsewhere, Damien Richardson got off to a winning start as Drogheda United boss with a convincing 4-0 win over UCD at United Park.

It was Drogheda’s first win at United Park since May. Gavin Brennan put United ahead with Brady and a brace from O’Neill completed the rout.

Derry City recorded a comprehensive 4-0 victory over Bohs as City manager Peter Hutton celebrated his new contract by watching his side produce another free-flowing display.

City took the lead on 23 minutes through Rory Patterson  from 12 yards out. On the half hour, Michael Duffy doubled the advantage with a cool finish. Winger Duffy nabbed his brace on the stroke of half time. On 68 minutes, a five man move saw Northern Ireland international Patterson slot home to also claim his double.

An injury time equaliser by Bray’s Michael Barker saw Wanderers nick a draw against Athlone and climb out of the relegation zone. Athlone had taken a seven minute lead through an own goal from Bray’s Dave Scully. However, after 85 minutes of chasing the game, Michael Barker’s sweetly struck finish grabbed a share of the spoils for Bray.

Shamrock Rovers boss Trevor Croly came under fire from his own fans as the Hoops slumped to a 4-1 defeat at Thomond Park to Limerick.

Rovers were behind after nine minutes when the dangerous Rory Gaffney drilled home. Just seven minutes later, Rovers left themselves a mountain to climb as Ian Turner scored a well worked goal. Rovers were three down by 30 minutes when Conor Kenna headed into his own net.

The rout was completed when Stephen Folan’s header on 85 minutes sealed a fine performance. Sean O'Connor slammed a last gasp consolation for the Hoops. But it was far too little, too late.


Bray Wanderers 1 Athlone 1

Derry 4 v Bohemians 0

Drogheda United 4 v UCD 0

Limerick 4 v Shamrock Rovers 1

St Patrick’s Athletic 1 v Sligo Rovers 0

Cork City 1 v Dundalk 2

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport