Sunday 18 March 2018

Corcoran's double throws Bohemians survival lifeline


Bohemians caretaker boss Owen Heary is forced to watch his first game at the helm from the TV gantry at the Carlisle Grounds against Bray due to his suspension
Bohemians caretaker boss Owen Heary is forced to watch his first game at the helm from the TV gantry at the Carlisle Grounds against Bray due to his suspension
Ruaidhri O'Connor

Ruaidhri O'Connor

THE Bohemians board took drastic action in midweek in a bid to save their season and their team responded with a first win in 12 games to breathe life into their fight against relegation.

Caretaker manager Owen Heary watched from the television gantry due to suspension as his side showed a marked improvement in the wake of Aaron Callaghan's sacking.

It was one of the former manager's last signings, Dinny Corcoran, who proved the Gypsies hero, scoring two late goals after Jason Byrne had drawn 10-man Bray level with 23 minutes left.

Bohs led after 10 minutes as Ryan McEvoy stroked home a penalty after Shane O'Connor felled Chris Lyons in the box.

The goal lifted the visitors' efforts and there was more urgency in their play than there has been in recent weeks.

They might have doubled their lead when Darren Quigley flapped at Darragh Reynor's cross and the ball fell to Corcoran, but his shot was cleared off the line by O'Connor.

A Kieran Marty Waters free-kick was the closest Bray came in the half, although Byrne was furious when John Mulroy chose to go himself as half-time approached when the former Bohs man was in a better position to score.

Despite Pat Devlin's words at the break, Bray were sluggish out of the traps again and nearly paid the price as O'Connor underhit a back-pass and Lyons nipped in only to be denied by a sharp Quigley save.

And their night got all the more difficult when Karl Moore stole a march on Adam Mitchell who caught the winger high and, having received a yellow card for a foul on Lyons in the first half, he was off for an early shower. Keith Buckley tried to ram home the advantage immediately, but his curler was too close to Quigley as Dave Webster was brought on for Eoin Hyland to provide cover at the back for Mitchell.

Despite being down to 10 men, Bray got back in the game as Byrne used his body to get between Dave Mulcahy and the ball and went down into the box when the midfielder made contact.

Connolly pointed to the spot and the striker dusted himself down to find the corner. Conor Murphy had a gilt-edged chance to put the visitors back in front when he was put through by Corcoran, but Quigley turned his effort around the post.

But they did hit the front once again as Moore found Corcoran and his first-time shot beat Quigley for his first goal since rejoining the club.

He doubled his tally with two minutes remaining, sealing the win as Kevin Devaney's shot was parried into his path and he shimmied past a defender before coolly finishing to send the Bohs fans home happy and drag Bray back towards the mire.

BRAY WANDERERS – Quigley; Hyland (Webster 64), S O'Connor, Mitchell, Earley (Knight 79); Zambra, Dempsey (Coombes 69); Akinade, Mulroy, Waters; Byrne.

BOHEMIANS – Delaney; Pender, Lopes, Byrne, Reynor; Buckley (Devaney 79), McEvoy, Mulcahy, Moore; Corcoran, Lyons (Murphy 69).

Ref – T Connolly (Dublin)

Irish Independent

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport