Saturday 26 May 2018

Callaghan to appeal six-month ban

Former Athlone Town manager Aaron Callaghan. Photo: Sportsfile
Former Athlone Town manager Aaron Callaghan. Photo: Sportsfile
Daniel McDonnell

Daniel McDonnell

Aaron Callaghan is set to appeal the six-month FAI ban from all football activity which he received just 24 hours after his departure from Athlone Town was confirmed.

Callaghan left struggling Athlone earlier this week due to his frustration with the working conditions.

He said that the "final straw" was the absence of a physio for Monday's Leinster Senior Cup tie with Shelbourne.

The FAI are looking into the reasons for that, with questions hanging over the future of the First Division's basement side who have lost eight of their opening nine league games.

Callaghan has been banned by the FAI for his conduct in Athlone's drubbing by Wexford on April 20 and last Saturday's match with Cabinteely that was abandoned due to floodlight failure.

He was serving a touchline ban for those games, but the FAI say he breached the conditions of that ban and also approached match officials.

"Whilst under the sanction of a two-match suspension, Mr Callaghan ignored FAI rules restricting him from entering the dressing room area, where his behaviour was deemed both offensive and intimidating towards match officials," read an Abbotstown statement after a verdict was reached by an Independent Disciplinary Committee.

Shelbourne manager Owen Heary confirmed on the LOI Weekly podcast that their physio had to treat Athlone players during last Monday's Leinster Senior Cup game and said the Midlanders' struggles harm the reputation of the division.

To listen to Heary's full interview, including his thoughts on big changes at Shels, go to independent.ie/podcasts

Irish Independent

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport