Tuesday 22 May 2018

Buckley extends Cork hot streak

Wexford Youths 0 Cork City 1

Garry Buckley celebrates. Photo: Sportsfile
Garry Buckley celebrates. Photo: Sportsfile
Mark O'Sullivan and Michael McSweeney of Cork City celebrate at the end of the match. Photo: Sportsfile
Gearoid Morrissey of Cork City in action against Aidan Friel of Wexford Youths. Photo: Sportsfile
Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

Garry Buckley's first-half winner stretched Cork City's unbeaten league run to 15 games as they did just enough to take all three points from Ferrycarrig Park.

Cork thus close the gap on league leaders Dundalk to six points, with a game in hand, as they now head to Sweden to face FC Hacken in the second qualifying round of the Europa League on Thursday.

A fifth successive defeat was harsh on Wexford as they remain second bottom of the table.

In windy, damp conditions, Cork took the early initiative, almost punishing a mistake 10 minutes in.

Steven Beattie's angled shot was spilled by Graham Doyle with Danny Morrissey's follow-up cleared for a corner.

But Youths should have snatched the lead against the run of play 10 minutes later.

Aidan Friel's cross picked out Jonny Bonner, who met the dropping ball on the full only to see his volley fly wide.

The woodwork then rescued Cork on 26 minutes. Bonner found Paul Murphy on the right and his cross ran through for strike partner Danny Furlong.

Looking to pick his spot, Furlong saw his right-foot effort come back off McNulty's left-hand post.

Two minutes later Cork got what proved to be their winner.

Doyle could only parry Kevin O'Connor's powerfully struck free-kick to gift lurking midfielder Buckley a simple tap-in.

Youths enjoyed plenty of possession in the second half, though they didn't create a chance until the 75th minute when Beattie bravely blocked a drive from Danny Ledwith.

Cork finished strongly. O'Sullivan worked Doyle with a diving header from an Ian Turner cross.

The Youths keeper then prevented a second Cork goal six minutes from time with the save of the game, tipping over O'Sullivan's header from O'Connor's sublime free-kick.

Wexford Youths - Doyle; G Delaney, Last, R Delaney; Friel (Molloy, 81), Dunne (Mulligan 81), Kenny (Higgins 70), Bonner, Ledwith; Furlong, Murphy.

Cork City - McNulty; Beattie, Bennett, McSweeney, O'Connor; Healy; Buckley, Holohan, G. Morrissey (Sheppard 61); D. Morrissey (Turner 74); O'Sullivan.

Ref - T Connolly (Dublin).

Irish Independent

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport