Tuesday 12 December 2017

Brush shines brightest before lights go out

Sligo Rovers 1-1 Finn Harps

Sligo Rovers manager Dave Robertson Photo: Seb Daly / SPORTSFILE
Sligo Rovers manager Dave Robertson Photo: Seb Daly / SPORTSFILE
Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

The FAI will have to rule if Saturday night's 1-1 draw between Sligo Rovers and Finn Harps can stand after referee Padraigh Sutton had to blow the game up three minutes early.

A light failure that left half the main stand in darkness resulted in the game being stalled for a lengthy period with 87 minutes on the clock, before Sutton ultimately decided to blow the full-time whistle after being informed the situation could not be resolved.

The game was tied at one-all, with Damien McNulty equalising a Chris Lyons opener for the home side.

But it was the performance of Harps' former Sligo goalkeeper Richard Brush that caught the eye, with the netminder making five fine first-half stops to prevent the Bit O'Red adding to their 11th minute lead, provided by a close-range Lyons header.

Sligo boss Dave Robertson wanted the game to go on.

He said: "It is disappointing from our point of view. I spoke to the match officials at the end and said we wanted to go on, but I think Finn Harps were happy with the draw.

"In the first half we were very good. We played some excellent stuff, created plenty of opportunities and their keeper pulled off some fantastic saves."

Harps boss Ollie Horgan said: "I would presume the result would stand with 86 or 87 minutes played, but then again, my opinion probably wouldn't count for a huge amount."

SLIGO - Schlingermann, Adebayo-Rowling, Peers, Clancy, Donelon, Richards, Roddan, Keohane, Sadlier, Martin, Lyons

HARPS - Brush, McNulty, Cowan, Mailey, Coll, Hanlon, Boyle (Foy 76), Harkin (McHugh 68), McNamee, Curran, Scully (Flatley 80)

REF - P Sutton

Indo Sport

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport