Bray players 'not confident' about future at the club
Bray Wanderers players want stronger guarantees from the club that they can honour their wage commitments for the rest of season despite a statement from the Seagulls which said they were financially secure for the rest of 2017.
They released a statement last night to say they are not confident about the club's future and are prepared to consider 'all options available' if they don't receive more information by Monday.
If they remain dissatisfied, it could have implications for the build-up to their next league match with Cork City which is pencilled in for Sunday week.
Bray chairman Denis O'Connor says that the club had organised funding that would bring them up to the end of this year and into 2018 and added that the overall picture looked brighter because of a strong response from Co Wicklow and South Dublin.
He apologised for the panic that was caused by a message communicated to the first-team squad that the club only had enough money left to pay another week's wages.
"We regret the unease caused by our honesty," said O'Connor. "It was most encouraging the various messages of support plus the financial backing received. It certainly answered my question on whether we can get support for the club."
However, the first-team squad are still asking questions of their hierarchy. They want their money bonded in a separate bank account and clarity on where Bray have sourced the funds from at short notice.
The players met with O'Connor before training yesterday along with representatives of PFA Ireland which included an accountant as they want the money for their wages to be ring-fenced to ensure there are no delays or problems.
"At a meeting on Tuesday, Denis O'Connor agreed to allow our union, PFA Ireland, assess any potential new investment and confirmed that any such investment would be bonded and secured," said a statement from the Bray squad.
"The chairman has today stated that investment is now forthcoming but we have received no bonding, security, guarantee or even details as to where it has come from.
"Our union has also written to the FAI licensing department where it has sought similar confirmation of such concrete guarantees but we receive no substantive reply, merely correspondence to say that they are again monitoring the situation.
"In view of the events of the last six days in which completely contradictory and confusing statements have been made by the club, we do not feel confident about our future at the club.
"As a squad, we feel this is not enough to guarantee our commitment for the rest of the season and beyond so we are therefore giving the club a deadline of close of business, Monday, to provide us with the appropriate information together with the promised guarantees and security.
"If these are not received, we will examine all options available to us ahead of the next fixture against Cork City."
The FAI released a statement to say they were 'encouraged' by Bray's declaration they had the necessary funding to complete the season.
They added: "The club will now be required to provide the Independent Licensing Committee with confirmation as to their current financial status and adhere to the protocol set down by the Committee in relation to maintaining a Licence for the current season."