Monday 23 April 2018

Bray dig deep to frustrate Bit O’Red

Sligo Rovers 0 0 Bray Wanderers

Kieran Sadlier
Kieran Sadlier

Bray Wanderers narrowed the gap on third-from-bottom Wexford Youths with a hard-earned point at the Showgrounds.

The visitors are unbeaten at home since the opening night of the season but were left frustrated after spurning a number of late chances.

The first half was full of effort and tough tackling, but lacked quality.

Bray were the better team and both Andrew Lewis and Ryan Brennan both spurned chances.

Mark Salmon did have the ball in the net on 21 minutes, but he was offside.

Jimmy Keohane had Rovers’ best first half chance when he rose to meet John Russell’s cross, but his header was wide.

The midfielder had an even better chance early in the second half, but Peter Cherrie did well to smoother his close-range effort.

At the other end, Ryan Brennan forced a good save from Micheal Schlingermann, and Lewis hit the side-netting from the rebound.

Craig Roddan was denied by Cherrie and substitute Phil Roberts could only drag his shot wide as the hosts created some late chances, but Bray claimed a point.

SLIGO ROVERS – Schlingermann; Adebayo-Rowling, Leahy, Boylan, Donelon; Roddan, Keohane, Richards; Russell, Sadlier (Gordon 80), Martin (Roberts 69).

BRAY WDS – Cherrie; Douglas, Kenna, McNally, Harding; Brennan, Salmon, Moore, Connolly, McDonagh; Lewis (Kelly 78).

REF – R Matthews.

Finn Harps leave Longford rooted in drop zone

First league strikes of the season from Josh Mailey and Tony McNamee brought Finn Harps their first away win of the campaign at the City Calling Stadium to leave Longford rooted to the foot of the Premier Division table.

Early chances from Mark Hughes and Philip Gorman came to nothing for Longford as they found themselves behind against the run of play on 18 minutes.

Ethan Boyle nodded the ball back into the Town area following a corner and Josh Mailey, on his first start of the season following injury, beat Paul Skinner with a looping volley off his right foot.

Skinner then saved at the feet of a hesitant Sean Houston, who’d been played in by McNamee, to prevent Harps doubling their lead on 33 minutes.

Two minutes later, Town troubled Harps from another Dillon corner that was headed over the bar by David O’Sullivan.

Town had Skinner to thanks again for the save of the night on 52 minutes when he again stopped with his feet after Houston put McNamee through one-on-one.

Harps got their second goal on 74 minutes when a poor clearance dropped into the path of McNamee who drilled low to the net.

Town rallied late on with Gannon rattling the crossbar before O’Sullivan’s follow-up was bravely cleared by McNulty.

Online Editors

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport