Thursday 22 March 2018

Airtricity League wrap: Goalless stalemate between Cork and Derry; wins for Pats, Bohs and Hoops

15 August 2016; Stephen Best of Bohemians after the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division match between Bohemians and Sligo Rovers in Dalymount Park, Dublin. Photo by David Fitzgerald/Sportsfile
15 August 2016; Stephen Best of Bohemians after the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division match between Bohemians and Sligo Rovers in Dalymount Park, Dublin. Photo by David Fitzgerald/Sportsfile Newsdesk Newsdesk

Four fixtures tonight's in the Airtricity League Premier Division including the goalless stalemate between Derry City and Cork City at Brandywell. Check out how everything transpired below.


LATE goals by Kurtis Byrne and Stephen Best were crucial at Dalymount Park tonight, when Bohemians fought back from a two-goal deficit to claim all three points against Sligo Rovers in a compelling Premier Division clash.

Rovers broken the deadlock in the fourth-minute when Kieran Sadlier fired past Bohs goalkeeper Dean Delany with a powerful left-footed strike.

This was the ideal opening to the proceedings for the visitors, but they suffered a set-back when Gavin Peers was show a straight red-card for a heavy tackle on Gypsies’ centre-forward Ismahil Akinade after 22 minutes.

However, in his absence Sligo doubled their lead with a neat 27th-minute finish by Liam Martin. The gauntlet was now being thrown down to the hosts, but they did force their way back into contention with a neat Akinade goal just before the interval.

This injected much needed life into the challenge of Keith Long’s charges for the start of the second half, and even though Sligo were doing their best to limit the attacking threat of Akinade, the Nigerian-born striker had a scrambled effort cleared off the line on 71 minutes.

However, just when time appeared to be running out for the home team, Byrne found the back of the Sligo net with a 88th-minute free-kick. This boosted the spirits of the Dalymount men and they completed an impressive comeback when Best fired home two minutes into stoppage-time.

BOHEMIANS – Delany; Pender, Prendergast (Quigley 71), Best, Fitzgerald; Lopes, Wearen; Kavanagh (Byrne 55), Buckley, Kelly (O’Halloran 63); Akinade.

SLIGO ROVERS – Schlingermann; Adebayo-Rowling, Leahy, Peers, Keohane; Kearns, Roddan, Sadlier (Boylan 25), McCann; Martin, Campion (Cretaro 78).

REF – A Buttimer (Cork).



SHAMROCK ROVERS kept on the coat-tails of third-placed Cork City last night by coming from behind to breeze past 10-man Wexford Youths.

David O’Connor’s rash challenge on Paul Murphy inside the box on 20 minutes left referee Adriano Reale with an easy decision, and Danny Furlong converted the resultant penalty despite Craig Hyland getting a hand to the powerful spot-kick.

Rovers badly required a spark and it came on 36 minutes through Gary McCabe, their midfield stalwart starting his first league game since Stephen Bradley assumed caretaker control six weeks ago.

His pinpoint free-kick from 20 yards, awarded following a foul on the lively Sean Boyd, curled into the top right corner of the net.

Three minutes later and the game had completely turned as Brandon Miele crowned a flowing move started with a surge from defender Dave Webster by beating goalkeeper Graham Doyle with an exquisite 25-yard shot.

Rovers continued to dominate after the break, with Boyd heading in the third 20 minutes from the end following a left-wing cross from Trevor Clarke.

A miserable night for the visitors was compounded by losing Gary Delaney for a second booking eight minutes later.

SHAMROCK ROVERS – Hyland; Webster, Cornwall, O’Connor; Madden, Cregg, G McCabe, Miele (Dobbs 77), T Clarke; Boyd (Doona 77), D Clarke (Shaw 70).

WEXFORD YOUTHS – Doyle; O’Keefe, Last, Delaney, C McCabe; Dunne (Kenny 80), Grace, Bonner (S Dempsey 80), Mulligan; Murphy, Furlong (Higgins 81). 

Ref – A Reale (Kildare).



Cork City once again missed an opportunity to put pressure on leaders Dundalk as they were held to a frustrating stalemate at the Brandywell.

Dundalk manager Stephen Kenny would have been the happiest man leaving the ground last night.

Neither side really did enough to win the game, as both defences were on top and both keepers largely untested.

Derry suffered a setback on 10 minutes as Ryan McBride, who went into the game with a groin problem, had to be replaced by Patrick McClean.

Neither side really threatened to break the deadlock, but the home side who had the upper hand in the early stages, with Nathan Boyle in particular giving Dave Mulcahy a tough time – the Cork man was surprisingly moved into the right-back spot.

 Derry had a half-chance on 40 minutes after Lukas Schubert’s fortunate touch fell perfectly for Rory Patterson inside the box, but the striker’s effort was easily gathered by Cork keeper Mark McNulty.

 The Candystripes were on the front foot again on 49 minutes but Patterson’s well-hit drive fizzed just past McNulty’s right-hand post.

Cork first effort on target came just after the hour mark as Mulcahy’s header from Gearoid Morrissey cross was easily saved by Gerard Doherty.

 On 78 minutes a tremendous through-ball by Derry substitute Joshua Daniels released Patterson, but the striker failed to trouble McNulty, blasting well over from the right-hand side of the box.

John Caulfied’s (pictured) men went close to winning all three points in the closing minutes but Sheppard’s shot was straight at Doherty.

Derry City – Doherty, McDermott, McBride (McClean 10), Vemmelund, Jarvis; McEneff, McCormack; Schubert, McNamee, Boyle (Daneils 66); Patterson.

Cork City – McNulty, Beattie (Sheppard 65), Bennett, Browne, O’Connor; D Morrissey (Maguire 52), G Morrissey, Mulcahy, Dooley, Bolger (O’Sullivan 81), Buckley.

Ref – D McKeon (Dublin).



Substitute Mark Timlin kept St Pat’s revival on the boil with a free-kick winner at City Calling Stadium.

Unbeaten in four games, Liam Buckley’s Dubliners move back into the top half of the table.

The result was harsh on managerless bottom side Longford, who had the better of the first half, finally springing a dour game to life on 33 minutes.

Goalkeeper Paul Skinner’s long free-kick was flicked on by Eddie Dsane for Kaleem Simon, whose angled volley came back off the far post.

Maintaining the upper hand, home defender Noel Haverty put a free header wide from Guais Makouta’s free-kick on 41 minutes.

Pat’s finally threatened in the minutes before the interval, with Stephen Kinsella just failing to meet an inviting Conan Byrne cross at the back post.

Central defender Rory Feely then wandered up for a Byrne free-kick only to plant his header wide.

The visitors upped their tempo in the second half, earning their first corner of the game on 57 minutes with Byrne’s ball into the area met by Michael Barker, whose shot was blocked.

A minute later, Town defender Jamie Mulhall bravely blocked a drive from Lee Desmond.

Timlin then won it for St Pat’s on 73 minutes. Haverty’s foul on Jamie McGrath was clinically punished when the Donegal native curled the ball up and over the defensive wall to the net.

Longford Town – Skinner; J Mulhall (Gorman 90), Haverty, Mvita, Powell; Cowan, Gannon, O’Connor, Makouta (DIllon 80); Simon, Dsane.

St Patrick’s Athletic – O’Malley; Barker, Hoare, Feely (D Dennehy 68), Bermingham; Kelly, Desmond; Byrne, McGrath, Kinsella (Timlin 64); Fagan (Corcoran 88).

Ref – B Hennessy (Clare).

Online Editors

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport