Friday 19 January 2018

Keane cements Celtic’s Euro spot


Robbie Keane scored against Dundee. Photo: Reuters
Robbie Keane scored against Dundee. Photo: Reuters

WITH Rangers securing the SPL title by beating Hibernian 1-0, Celtic at least secured second place and the Champions League qualifying spot which goes with it courtesy of a hard fought victory at Tannadice.

The main talking point afterwards was the dismissal of United substitute Jennison Myrie-Williams. The winger was cautioned for a foul on Aiden McGeady three minutes after entering the fray and shown the yellow card for the second time after an innocuous challenge on Landry N'Guemo 12 minutes later.

United manager Peter Houston believes the second verdict was down to a case of mistaken identity.

“It was unbelievable,” he said. “He got the wrong guy. We had three black lads on the park and he's spoken to Prince Buaben minutes before and told him that if he committed another foul he'd be off the park. I think he thought that Jenno was Prince.”

Buaben added to the controversy by saying: “Jennison said that he thought the referee thought it was me but the referee should know: that's his job, he is a professional.”

Houston accused Celtic captain Scott Brown of disrespecting fellow professionals, claiming that the midfielder had been slapping his backside and telling United's midfielders that he had them in his hip pocket.

Buaben appeared to strike the Scotland star in the face during a second-half melee but the Ghanaian was unrepentant afterwards, declaring: “He's a soft boy – too soft – and he keeps moaning the whole time.

“He needs to shut up and play football. To be fair, I did lift my hand to him but it was just frustration. I can tell you that if we were outside the pitch then he wouldn't keep talking like that.”

Celtic took the lead on the half-hour mark with a well-worked goal as McGeady and Marc-Antoine Fortune combined to set up Diomansy Kamara, who took a touch before lashing the ball into Dusan Pernis' top right-hand corner from 15 yards.

The second goal came in stoppagetime. Robbie Keane, who endured an exasperating 90 minutes, making intelligent runs which team-mates too often failed to spot, emphatically converted a penalty kick for his 14th goal in 16 matches after McGeady was fouled.

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport