Sport Soccer

Saturday 16 February 2019

Jose Mourinho reveals he's received three job offers since being sacked and divulges laundry basket trick he used at Chelsea

Former Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho has no plans to retire (Nick Potts/PA)
Former Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho has no plans to retire (Nick Potts/PA)

Jack Rathborn

Jose Mourinho has revealed he has already knocked back three offers to return to the game since being fired by Manchester United.

The Portuguese was dismissed last month as United languished outside the top four and well off the pace in the Premier League title race.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has transformed United since, leading to Gary Neville to urge the club to never consider an alternative philosophy to the version the Norwegian has instilled after his influence from Alex Ferguson.

“Gary Neville doesn’t know my philosophy,” Mourinho said during an appearance on Bein Sports.

“My philosophy depends. I would love to go to a club and have [the same] conditions that [Liverpool boss] Jurgen Klopp and [Manchester City manager] Pep Guardiola did.

“I refused already three jobs because I didn’t feel it was what I want.”

Mourinho also clarified the ‘parks the bus’ tag, with its origin coming from his time in Spain with Real Madrid.

He said: “You know when the [parking the bus] reputation started?

“It was when I was champions with Real Madrid with 100 points and 106 goals – the record of Spanish football.”

Mourinho splashed out £400 million on players during his time at Old Trafford, but claims the support at Manchester City and Liverpool was greater due to Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola’s ability to overhaul their squads.

“At Man City in the first season Guardiola was not a champion. In the second season Pep made great decisions but those that were supported. In the same summer he sold four full-backs and bought four backs,” Mourinho explained.

“At Liverpool how many players were there before Jurgen Klopp arrived? If you are a manager and you [are able] to choose the players to follow your idea, that’s one thing. The other thing is when you are not able to do that.”

Mourinho also revealed all about the time he swerved a touchline ban during his time at Chelsea by hiding in a laundry basket.

He recalled the time he was handed a two-game touchline ban by UEFA in 2005 but executed a clever plan to ensure he could speak to his players before the Champions League quarter-final against Bayern Munich in 2005.

“I go to the dressing room during the day so I was there from midday and the game is seven o’clock. I just want to be in the dressing room when the players arrive,” the 55-year-old said on beIN Sports.

“I went there and nobody saw me. The problem was to leave after. And Stewart Bannister the kit man put me in the basket. It was a little bit open so I could breathe.

“But when he is taking it outside the dressing room, the UEFA guys were following and desperate to find me so he closed the box and I couldn’t breathe! When he opened the box I was dying! I am serious! I was claustrophobic, I promise! It’s true!”

Independent News Service

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport