'Sickened' Maguire to miss Ireland opportunity
Sean Maguire is set to miss out on Ireland's September double header with Wales and Poland after suffering another hamstring injury.
The Preston attacker's dream transition to the Championship last year was halted by a hamstring issue that resulted in a four-month layoff.
And Alex Neil says that the front man could be out for up to two months after a problem that emerged in similar circumstances. There was no cause for alarm when he came off in a friendly with Oldham.
"Sean indicated to the bench at Oldham that he was feeling a tight hamstring," said Neil. "We took him off as a precaution and to be honest I didn't think too much of it.
"Because of his previous history, we sent him for a scan. Last season he played against Brentford with a torn hamstring and he wasn't aware of it.
"He had damage in his hamstring from injuries in the past and doesn't feel it as often as other people do.
"We got him scanned and it came back a lot worse than we had hoped. He has done damage to the tendon in the hamstring."
Maguire said last night he was "sickened" but determined to come back fitter and stronger.
Ireland's UEFA Nations League campaign starts in Wales on September 6 before a friendly in Poland five days later.