'My heart has been broken' - Des Cahill 's Euro 2016 ticket application turned down
RTE sports presenter Des Cahill has revealed his huge disappointment at missing out on Euro 2016 tickets after his application was turned down.
Most Ireland fans have discovered whether or not they had got tickets for the competition, after UEFA began sending confirmation emails last week.
Ireland supporters group You Boys In Green (YBIG) has said that the "majority" of regular fans who travel to away games were allocated tickets, while the general message on social media and fan forums was that the most deserving fans would be receiving tickets.
However the popular sports presenter took to Twitter to voice his disappointment yesterday after being informed he had missed out.
missed out on tickets for EURO 2016 as he revealed his application had been TURNED DOWN.
He wrote: "Hours after Valentine's ...My heart has been broken.. UEFA have just told me I was "unsuccessful" in seeking tickets for #EURO2016."
Hours after Valentine's ...My heart has been broken.. UEFA have just told me I was "unsuccessful" in seeking tickets for #EURO2016.— Des Cahill (@sportsdes) February 15, 2016
When another disappointed punter said he'd also been turned down, Des tweeted again with another angry hashtag, #UEFASaidNo
While a minority of deserving fans have been left disappointed - the FAI has been provided with upwards of 2,000 tickets to ensure they will get to see their team play in France.
The FAI last night issued a statement encouraging fans to register for the official waiting list by forwarding on their UEFA notification email to an FAI email address.
"The FAI has made it a priority to free up more tickets for supporters and will remain in contact with UEFA over the coming days and weeks to secure as many tickets as possible for Ireland supporters," it added.
However, it warned that with more than 275,000 ticket applications made by Ireland supporters for three Group E games against Sweden, Belgium, and Italy, it was impossible to meet every request. It said the most deserving fans would be prioritised. Supporters can still avail of the re-sale platform, which will open in March and will be run directly by UEFA.