Embarrassing dressing room injury 'caused by an energy drink' adds to Wayne Rooney's week of misery
The injury that kept Wayne Rooney out England's friendly with Spain occurred after the attacker slipped on a plastic bottle in the changing room, according to reports.
The Times say that the England captain banged his knee in the dressing room after tripping over an energy drink container following the win over Scotland on Saturday night.
The incident will cause further embarrassment for the player, who earlier this week apologised for his conduct after crashing a wedding at the team hotel following the Scotland game.
Gareth Southgate is reportedly furious with the player, and the FA has launched an investigation into the incident.