Sport Soccer

Wednesday 21 February 2018

In Brief: Keane in new La Galaxy deal

Robbie Keane says he has signed a new contract to remain with the Los Angeles Galaxy for two seasons, and he also ruled out a loan deal to the English Premier League this winter.

"I had another year left and they offered me a new contract at the end of last season," Keane said. "I've just signed a new two-year contract." The Galaxy have not announced or confirmed Keane's deal.

The Dubliner said he'll rest instead of returning to the Premier League, where he played for Aston Villa on loan last season. "It's been a long season, with the Euros and what have you," Keane said. "I've a few little niggles that need to be sorted out so I don't think at this moment in time it would be right for me to go anywhere."

Brady set for £2m Hull move

Republic of Ireland winger Robbie Brady was last night reported to be on the verge of a £2m move to Hull City.

Brady had returned to his club Manchester United last week after a successful two-month loan spell with Steve Bruce's Championship high-flyers. The Tigers boss is a fan of the 20-year-old Dubliner and he has moved quickly to secure his services on a permanent basis.

Brady could be joined at the KC Stadium by Republic of Ireland team-mate David Meyler, who has also impressed on loan from Sunderland. It's understood that Bruce has agreed a fee of £1.5m for the Corkman as he looks to strengthen his squad in the push for promotion.

Hunt on target for Reading

READING manager Brian McDermott was pleased with the character his side showed to beat Crawley 3-1 and reach the fourth round of the cup, having fallen behind after just 14 seconds.

Crawley made the perfect start with Nicky Adams' 25-yard strike. But two goals from Adam Le Fondre, after Noel Hunt had put Reading ahead, secured the win.

"It is easy to panic but we got ourselves back into the game. The reaction from our players was good," said McDermott.

Reid injured in Forest defeat

Alex McLeish is still waiting for his first win as Nottingham Forest boss after his side bowed out of the FA Cup with a 3-2 loss to Oldham.

Oldham struck three times in the second half, twice from Robbie Simpson.

Forest had taken an early lead when Andy Reid crossed from the right and Oldham's Matt Smith put through his own goal. The Dubliner was forced off with an injury early in the second half. Billy Sharp scored a consolation for Forest.

Barnes-Homer stuns Cardiff

Matthew Barnes-Homer scored twice in the late stages as minnows Macclesfield pulled off a stunning late turnaround to beat Cardiff 2-1 and reach the fourth round.

The Blue Square Bet Premier side were trailing to a goal from Nathaniel Jarvis before Barnes-Homer fired home at the far post in the 85th minute, and he powered a penalty past Joe Lewis three minutes later to spark scenes of wild celebration.

Warnock calls shots from bed

LEEDS boss Neil Warnock had a big influence on his side's FA Cup 1-1 fightback against Birmingham by ordering half-time changes from his sick bed.

Warnock listened to the match on the radio and kept in touch by phone with his bench. With Birmingham leading through Wade Elliott, Warnock ordered El-Hadji Diouf and Sam Byram to be brought on, and Luciano Becchio equalised after an hour.

No Ferdinand coin complaint

MANCHESTER United defender Rio Ferdinand has declined to make an official complaint after he was hit by a coin during the Manchester derby, police have confirmed.

Ferdinand was cut above his left eye at the end of the match on December 9.

Sunday Indo Sport

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport