I am at Huddersfield for the long haul, vows boss Wagner
The Terriers go in search for the first Premier League win of the season against Crystal Palace on Saturday.
Huddersfield boss David Wagner is “desperate” to help establish the club in the Premier League.
The Terriers announced plans to invest £20million in upgrading their Canalside training complex this week, while chairman Dean Hoyle repeated Wagner would remain in charge, even if the club were relegated.
“Every manager likes to hear this, even if it is not new because he said this last season as well,” Wagner said. “Everybody knows our relationship is based on trust and belief in each other.
“This is how we have worked together for three years. He knows as well he can trust and believe in me that I will be at this football club, whatever the rumours will be.
“I will never leave this club during a season and will respect my contract. This is based on both sides.
“That he said this is more important for everyone else rather than for me, because this will not change how desperate I am and how big my desire is to help this club as good as I can for it to make further steps.
“Even if I know each further step is harder, the steps maybe look smaller than we have done before, but I know there are some further steps to go.
“I’ll be very happy if we can do it and I’ll be very happy if I can be part of it.”
Wagner is aware of the significance of Saturday’s home game against Crystal Palace as his side bid to secure their first Premier League win of the season.
The Terriers have taken two points from successive draws against Cardiff and Everton after chastening defeats to Chelsea, on the opening day, and Manchester City.
“This is important, there is no doubt about it,” Wagner said. “We will try everything and invest everything we have to get this first win.
“It’s important for every time to have a win as soon as possible. We have tried four times so far and we haven’t got it and now we have another opportunity at home, in front of our own crowd, to make it happen.
“We know it is a difficult task again. We are all aware of the quality Palace have and we have to be at our best.”
Town midfielder Jonathan Hogg sits out the second game of his three-match ban and Wagner confirmed Collin Quaner and Juninho Bacuna were both doubtful due to knocks, while Adama Diakhaby will also be assessed.
Town’s international players have all returned from international duty unscathed, including Danish goalkeeper Jonas Lossl, who is vying for a starting place with Ben Hamer, fit again after a knee injury.