Eddie Howe has told Callum Wilson to focus on Bournemouth and not let himself get distracted by talk of a big-money transfer.
England forward Wilson, currently working his way back to full fitness following a hamstring injury, has been linked with a move to Chelsea during the January window.
Cherries boss Howe insists the striker – who has nine Premier League goals this season and earned a first international cap against the United States during November last year – needs to concentrate on the job in hand.
“I don’t want to place any more pressure on Callum or any of my players in my team by talking about things that aren’t important really,” Howe said.
“What’s important for me is Callum working hard for the team, producing his best performances and on a consistent basis.
“For him, thinking about transfer fees, values and other clubs, I would recommend that he focuses on Bournemouth and our games to come.”
Wilson could be back in contention for Saturday’s Premier League match against West Ham, but Howe will remain cautious.
He said: “With hamstring injuries you have got to be very careful. As much as we want him back fit we have got to make sure we protect the long-term.”
Howe has already moved to strengthen the squad this month, spending £19million to sign England striker Dominic Solanke from Liverpool, with right-back Nathaniel Clyne arriving on loan from Anfield.
The Cherries have also been linked with Brentford defender Chris Mepham and allowed forward Jermain Defoe to head up to Rangers.
Howe is not expecting any more departures from the Vitality Stadium.
“We’ve had no interest in any of our players, everything has just been speculation, which you understand, this is the month for it, and I am sure it will not be the last thing that we hear,” the Bournemouth manager said at a press conference.
“I think from my perspective and the team we have above me, we are always working together to try to find solutions to make the team better, the squad stronger and make the team continue to go forward. They are the main things.
“We will do that again, like we have done through the process that we’ve been together, for the benefit of Bournemouth.”
Following the 2-0 defeat at Everton last weekend, Bournemouth have now lost nine of their last 12 Premier League fixtures, as well as being knocked out of the FA Cup at home by Brighton.
Howe, though, believes the squad have what it takes to kick-start a campaign which began with so much promise.
“I’ve seen a real strength within the group this week and the players are very determined to turn things around,” the Bournemouth manager said.
“The key thing is to believe in our work, our style of play and to believe in each other. I’ve seen a really positive reaction.”