Harry Kane ousted Robbie Keane from an elite list of Tottenham legends with his latest hat-trick
Harry Kane broke Alan Shearer’s record for the most Premier League goals in a calendar year as he blasted a hat-trick in Tottenham’s 5-2 win against Southampton on St Stephen’s Day - and he also ousted Robbie Keane from a very exclusive list of Spurs legends.
Kane has been rapidly closing on Keane’s record of 121 goals for Spurs in recent weeks, with the prize of breaking into the club’s all-time top ten goal scorers up for grabs if he could overtake the Irishman.
Keane scored his goals for Tottenham in his two spells at the north London club, earning him 10th spot in the club’s all-time top scorer list, but he has now been usurped by the relentlessly impressive Kane.
Kane’s 123 goals have come in just 189 appearances, with his sparkling scoring rate of 0.65 making for impressive reading, while Keane’s goals came in 293 appearances and a slightly less prolific rate of 0.41 per game.
While Keane’s record at Spurs is impressive, Kane is worthy of a place among the club’s record scorers, with this illustrious list now including his record.
1. Jimmy Greaves - 266 goals (379 apps)
2. Bobby Smith - 208 goals (371 apps)
3. Martin Chivers - 174 goals (367 apps)
4. Cliff Jones - 159 goals (378 apps)
5. Jermain Defoe - 143 goals (363 apps)
6. George Hunt - 138 goals (198 apps)
7. Len Duquemin - 134 goals (307 apps)
8. Alan Gilzean - 133 goals (439 apps)
9. Teddy Sheringham 124 goals (277 apps)
10. Harry Kane - 123 goals (189 apps)