GREGG Wylde and Mervan Celik have become the first players to leave Rangers as part of the club's administration process.
Midfielder Wylde, 20, and Sweden international Celik are among five players who have reportedly agreed to leave the club without taking any redundancy package.
"I wanted to help out the club by keeping people in a job," Wylde, who has already been linked with a move to Southampton, told STV. "I was so tired I couldn't really sleep at night. It was getting to me so I thought I would leave."
He later told BBC Scotland: "I volunteered to walk with no redundancy package today to help the other people in the club who have families, like the kitchen staff.
"I offered to walk away yesterday and the club told me today that they would accept that offer.
"At the moment I have nowhere to go and I don't have another club.
"I don't know what is going to happen next but I thought it was important to play my part in saving Rangers."
Further departures are likely with administrators Duff and Phelps expected to make redundancies after they failed to reach an agreement with the players on cost-cutting.
Celtic defender Charlie Mulgrew, who celebrated his 26th birthday today at the Hoops' Lennoxtown training ground picking up the Clydesdale Bank Premier League player of the month award for February, expressed sympathy for Wylde.
"I know one or two of them," said Mulgrew, who won his first cap for Scotland in the friendly in Slovenia.
"Somebody mentioned Gregg Wylde I know him and I know his family well. So I have a lot of sympathy towards him and I just hope things can get better over there. It just shows how good a character he is [to give up wages].
Somebody was saying at lunch that he came through here [at Celtic] when he was 11.
"I am sure he will do OK and go on and get another club because he has done very well at Rangers and he is a very good player."
Kyle Bartley left Rangers' training ground this afternoon saying talks over the players' futures remained ongoing.
The on-loan Arsenal defender does not expect a final decision to be made on potential redundancies today after further talks with the club's administrators.
Bartley said today: "Talks are still ongoing but I've just decided to go home and come back tomorrow and see what happens.
"No decisions have been made yet. We just have to wait and see."
Asked if he was expecting a final decision today, the centre half said: "I don't think so."
Bartley was then asked what the mood was like inside Murray Park and replied: "Not great."
Asked about the gesture made by his Wylde, Bartley told media waiting outside the Milngavie complex: "It's fantastic."
The defender then told Sky Sports News: "All the players who will be taking wage cuts or leaving will be saving people's jobs.
"I don't think anyone who is still at the club wants to leave but it is a situation where some may have to leave to benefit the club.
"My parent club is Arsenal. It was said I'd go back if there were cuts but nothing has been decided yet. I am still a Rangers player for this season as it stands.
"It is a shame that such a big club has come to such a crisis. It is a very sad time for Rangers."
Bartley later returned to the training complex and team-mates Kyle Lafferty and Sasa Papac left.
There was also evidence of players' agents arriving, with Steven Naismith's representative, Peter McLean, driving into Murray Park.
Meanwhile, an inquiry into the Rangers Charity Foundation has been launched after it revealed the crisis-hit club would receive most of its proceeds from a friendly match between former Rangers and AC Milan players later this month.
The match had originally been organised to raise funds for the Rangers Charity Foundation, which was going to receive 60 per cent of all money gathered by the game on March 30. But the charity has now reduced the amount it will take from the game to 10 per cent.
On Tuesday, the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator confirmed it had been made aware of "concerns" regarding the game after the change to the benefactors.
A spokesman for the regulator said: "We can confirm that we have an ongoing inquiry into the Rangers Charity Foundation. It would therefore not be appropriate to comment further."