Monday 22 January 2018

Giroud rescues late point for Arsenal while Toure returns with a brace for City

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho (centre) was left less than impressed after his side were not awarded a penalty in the 1-1 Premier League draw with Arsenal at Old Trafford
Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho (centre) was left less than impressed after his side were not awarded a penalty in the 1-1 Premier League draw with Arsenal at Old Trafford

Arsenal secured a 1-1 draw against Manchester United with a powerful late header from substitute Olivier Giroud at Old Trafford to leave home boss Jose Mourinho fuming.

Mourinho looked to be on course for another victory over old rival Gunners boss Arsene Wenger when Juan Mata fired the home side into a deserved lead on 68 minutes in Saturday's lunchtime kick-off.

However, as the clock ran down into the 89th minute, Giroud rose at the far post to head home fellow substitute Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's cross to earn a share of the points with what was Arsenal's first attempt on target.

Mourinho was incensed earlier in the match when he felt his side should have been given a penalty when Nacho Monreal hauled down Antonio Valencia, referee Andre Marriner waving play on.

The draw left U nited in sixth placed, six points behind fourth-placed Arsenal.

Manchester City moved level on points with leaders Liverpool, second now only on goals scored, after Yaya Toure netted twice in a 2-1 win at Crystal Palace.

Following a minute's silence before kick-off in memory of the victims of the Croydon tram crash, Toure marked his return to Premier League action for the first time this season with the opening goal on 38 minutes.

Palace were level on 66 minutes through substitute Connor Wickham.

City, though, left Selhurst Park with all three points when midfielder Toure converted a corner from Kevin De Bruyne with seven minutes left.

Liverpool dropped points in a frustrating goalless draw at Southampton, where Roberto Firmino missed a great chance in the second half, stabbing wide from 10 yards.

Sunderland collected a second straight league win to move off the bottom of the table with a 3-0 victory over fellow strugglers Hull at the Stadium of Light, in a match which was briefly delayed by floodlight failure

Jermain Defoe took his tally to 150 Premier League goals to put the Black Cats ahead on 34 minutes.

Early in the second half, play was suspended for 10 minutes following partial floodlight failure.

When the action got under way again, Sunderland doubled their lead in the 62nd minute through Victor Anichebe.

And Nigeria forward Anichebe made it three goals in his two league games when he added a third on 82 minutes.

Sunderland defender Papy Djilobodji was sent off for a second caution during the closing moments.

Swansea replaced Sunderland at the foot of the table after a late goal from Seamus Coleman gave Everton a 1-1 draw at the Liberty Stadium.

Gylfi Sigurdsson put the Swans ahead with a penalty on 41 minutes, but Coleman's looping header with just a minute left earned the Toffees a point.

Bournemouth beat Stoke 1-0 at the Bet365 Stadium with a goal from o n-loan Chelsea defender Nathan Ake after 26 minutes.

Stoke had a chance to equalise at the start of the second half, but Bojan Krkic crashed his penalty against the crossbar.

Champions Leicester slumped to a 2-1 defeat at Watford.

The Hornets, who were beaten 6-1 by Liverpool before the international break, swept into the lead after just 33 seconds through Etienne Capoue's volley and Roberto Pereyra made it 2-0 on 12 minutes.

Although Leicester quickly reduced the deficit just two minutes later with a penalty from Riyad Mahrez, there was no way back for the Foxes.

Press Association

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport