'We must guarantee this great event's success'- French president looks to ease fears of terrorist threat ahead of Euros
French president Francois Hollande has said the threat of extremism will not stop the European Championship football tournament from being successful.
Mr Hollande told France Inter radio that precautionary measures, including the deployment of a 90,000-strong security force, will ensure safety at the matches taking place in 10 French cities.
The premier said France decided to go ahead with Euro 2016 despite two waves of attacks last year, and to make it a "festival for people and for sports".
But he said spectators at the month-long tournament, which starts on Friday, must accept security checks as they enter stadiums and fan zones.
Mr Hollande added that "this threat, alas, will exist for a long time so we must guarantee this great event ... is successful. It will be."
Who is your sportstar of the year?
Vote in the Irish Independent Sport Star Awards and you could win the ultimate sports prize.
Prizes include, tickets to Ireland's against Scotland in the Six Nations, All Ireland football and hurling final tickets and much more.