Saturday 21 July 2018

Elliott makes debut as Shels beat Bohs on penalties

Stephen Elliott in action for Shels against Bohs
Stephen Elliott in action for Shels against Bohs

Jamie Moore

Stephen Elliot made his Shelbourne debut at Tolka Park last night as the Reds beat Bohemians 4-3 on penalties after their EA Sports Cup second round tie had ended scoreless.

The former Ireland international played 67 minutes of a game that lasted 132 due to a long injury delay and then extra time.

Nineteen-year-old goalkeeper Jack Brady was the Shels' hero, making two saves in the shootout to spare Cian Kavanagh's blushes after his 'chipped' effort down the middle was easily saved by Dean Delany.

Gavin Boyne, Gareth Coughlan and Jamie Doyle all scored for Shels, while Mark Quigley and Kurtis Byrne converted for Bohs before Brady saved two in row from Paddy Kavanagh and Lorcan Fitzgerald.

James English had the chance to win it for Shels but missed, which allowed Anto Murphy to take it to sudden death.

Shels skipper Daire Doyle scored, meaning Keith Buckley needed to do the same, but he blazed his shot high and wide to send Shels into the last eight.

The game was stopped for 12 minutes after Bohs' Dylan Hayes suffered a suspected spinal injury, which resulted in him being taken to hospital by ambulance.

After the game restarted, Delany pulled off an incredible hat-trick of saves with four minutes remaining in normal time, first to stop English's flying volley and then making a fantastic double save to block two Robbie Duggan close-range efforts.

Bohs could have won it in the 12th minute of added time when Kurtis Byrne's long range shot was tipped over by the impressive Brady.

Byrne then headed Kavanagh's cross wide when he should have hit the target midway through the second period of extra time before Daniel Byrne's looping header dropped just over the Shels' crossbar.

Galway United also made the quarter-finals via penalties, beating Finn Harps 4-2. Stephen Folan, Ryan Curran, Padraic Cunningham and Ruairi Keating all scored for Galway, while Ryan Curran and Ethan Boyle missed for Harps.

John Caulfield's half-time team talk worked wonders for Cork City.

Drawing 0-0 with Waterford at the break, City scored seven goals in the second half, five of them coming within 15 minutes after the restart.

Danny Morrissey got them on their way in the 46th minute before goals from Ian Turner, Gavan Holohan, Gearoid Morrissey and Mark O'Sullivan had Cork 5-0 up after 60 minutes. Conor McCarthy made it six and then O'Sullivan grabbed his second.

Irish Independent

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport