Monday 19 March 2018

WATCH - Violent thunderstorm causes the cancellation of Man City's Champions League tie

General view during a storm before the game was postponed
Action Images via Reuters / Carl Recine
General view during a storm before the game was postponed Action Images via Reuters / Carl Recine

Andy Hampson

Manchester City's Champions League Group C opener against Borussia Monchengladbach has been postponed following a torrential thunderstorm.

Heavy rain saturated the pitch at the Etihad Stadium in the two hours before the scheduled 7.45pm kick-off.

Referee Bjorn Kuipers and officials inspected the surface at about 6.55pm and a decision to postpone was communicated around 30 minutes later.

City themselves announced the news via Twitter.

"Tonight's #UCL match between #mcfc and @borussia_en has been postponed due to adverse weather conditions," a statement read.

Although the stadium was largely empty at the time, with most City fans having decided against entering, a number of Monchengladbach supporters, who had taken their positions, booed a public announcement.

It is understood the decision to call the game off was taken because of safety conditions around the stadium, rather than concerns about the pitch, which drained well when rain finally eased.

Elsewhere in Manchester there were reports of flash flooding and Metrolink tram services were suspended.

According to UEFA regulations, officials would make a decision as to when the game would be rearranged within two hours.

A further statement from the club read: "Tonight's UEFA Champions League fixture at home to Borussia Monchengladbach has been postponed.

"Torrential rainfall across Manchester throughout the evening led to flooding in the areas around the ground, which forced the decision on safety and security grounds.

"The game will now be rescheduled and the club will announce a new date in due course."

Press Association

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport