Thursday 19 September 2019

'There are no words..I'm dismayed' - Carlo Ancelotti blasts his own club's dressing-rooms ahead of Liverpool showdown

Napoli coach Carlo Ancelotti. Photo: PA

Chris Bascombe

Liverpool's Champions League opponents, Napoli, have been instructed by Uefa to guarantee the suitability of their arena to host next Tuesday's group opener against the European champions.

The response from Europe's governing body follows Napoli coach Carlo Ancelotti launching a tirade against those responsible for renovating the dressing rooms at the San Paolo stadium.

Ancelotti branded the work "incompetent" and his club posted a video on their website highlighting the poor conditions.

"We are liaising with the club to get all necessary assurances and guarantees that the dressing rooms and any other relevant facilities are ready and suitable for next week's match," said a Uefa spokesman.

Renovation

Napoli played their first two Serie A games away as renovation work continued but Ancelotti is furious at the slow pace of the work.

"I have seen the state of the dressing rooms. There are no words," he said. "You can build a house in two months, but they weren't capable of renovating the dressing rooms. I'm shocked at the incompetence of the people in charge of the work. I'm dismayed."

Meanwhile, Liverpool supporters heading to Naples next week have been told they face a threat to their personal safety. The club has issued a stark warning to fans not to leave their hotels other than to attend the match, nor wear club colours for fear they will be targeted by Napoli fans.

Similar warnings were issued when the clubs met last year and there were several incidents when visiting supporters were attacked outside the stadium. Liverpool have liaised with Merseyside police, with fans urged to use available shuttle buses.

© Daily Telegraph, London

Telegraph.co.uk

The Left Wing: Ireland's fullback dilemma, World Cup bonding and the squad standby list

Also in Sport