Monday 20 November 2017

Parkin rescues Preston as Leeds on wrong end of 10-goal thriller

Jon Parkin struck a hat-trick as Preston produced an astonishing comeback to beat Leeds United in a pulsating 10-goal encounter at Elland Road last night

In a game that had everything North End, who began the evening in the drop zone, recovered from 4-1 behind after 39 minutes to snatch a barely believable away success.

Parkin had given them an early lead before the hosts responded brilliantly with Davide Somma's double added to goals from Luciano Becchio and Alex Bruce seemingly putting them in control.

Anyone in attendance at Elland Road who thought the game was over was to be proven badly wrong, though, as North End produced a remarkable riposte.

Parkin, who was applauded by the home support when he was substituted late on, was the star, netting either side of goals from Keith Treacy and Callum Davidson, before Iain Hume added a sixth.

QPR's 100 pc home record came to an end after Millwall denied the Championship leaders a fifth straight win. Neil Warnock's Rangers have yet to concede a goal at Loftus Road but could not find a way past Derry City's former goalkeeper David Forde.

QPR remain six points clear at the top, however, after their nearest rivals failed to take advantage.

Roy Keane's Ipswich succumbed to a late goal by Reading's Simon Church who struck the winner in the 88th minute at the Madejski Stadium. The game looked to be heading for stalemate after both sides had been reduced to 10 men early in the second half, Luke Hyam and Royals skipper Matt Mills seeing red.


But striker Church, only brought on after a late injury to Hal Robson-Kanu, was in the right place at the right time to seal maximum points for the hosts.

The pressure continues to mount on Leicester boss Paulo Sousa after his side were on the wrong end of a seven-goal thriller at Carrow Road.

The Foxes, who opened the scoring through Martyn Waghorn, remain at the foot of the table as goals from Andrew Crofts, Adam Drury and a Wes Hoolahan brace earned Norwich victory.

Matty Fryatt, who came on to score twice, was sent off for a goalmouth tussle with Leon Barnett after the Foxes' third goal, and that effectively killed off any hopes they had of taking a point.

Aaron Mokoena's first league goal in English football helped Portsmouth to a second victory in five days at Fratton Park.

The South Africa international thumped home a header after 58 minutes to restore Pompey's lead.

It was the third goal in an action-packed eight-minute spell. John Utaka put Portsmouth ahead in the 51st minute only for Jon Stead to equalise two minutes later.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport