Thursday 23 November 2017

Celtic dumped out by Morton as Imrie holds his nerve

Charlie Mulgrew hit the post late on
Charlie Mulgrew hit the post late on

Dougie Imrie's dramatic extra-time penalty gave Morton a shock 1-0 Scottish League Cup third-round win over Celtic at Parkhead.

Five minutes into the extra period, after a stalemate during normal time, the 'Ton midfielder scored from the spot after referee Bobby Madden adjudged Celtic defender Efe Ambrose to have handled when challenging substitute Archie Campbell.

Celtic, who had been lacklustre for most of the game, pounded the Morton box in an attempt to get back level and Charlie Mulgrew hit the post in the dying seconds.

However, on a night of unlikely drama, the resolute visitors were not to be denied.

Meanwhile, Stevan Jovetic and Jesus Navas scored their first goals for Manchester City who avenged a shock FA Cup final defeat by Wigan Athletic with a 5-0 victory over the Championship side in the English League Cup third round.

Montenegro striker Jovetic, signed for £25m from Fiorentina in the close season, scored twice on a night when fellow Premier League heavyweights Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur also eased into the next round of the competition.

Wigan never threatened a repeat of their FA Cup heroics. Edin Dzeko put City ahead after 33 minutes and Jovetic made it 2-0 on the hour. Yaya Toure curled in a free-kick for City's third before Jovetic headed his second. Spain winger Navas wrapped up an easy night for City.

Fernando Torres was given a start for Chelsea and scored his side's first goal in a 2-0 win at League One Swindon Town. Jermain Defoe, another player often forced to watch from the bench, made the most of his outing at Aston Villa with a brace as Spurs sauntered to a 4-0 victory.

After the match Villa boss Paul Lambert confirmed that Christian Benteke will be out for up to six weeks with a hip injury. Benteke suffered the problem at Norwich on Saturday but Lambert acknowledged the damage was not as extensive as he originally thought.

Norwich fans had been waiting for Gary Hooper to make his first start for the club and he made an instant impact as his dramatic brace put the Canaries into the fourth round at the expense of a spirited Watford side.

The Hornets had led 2-0 with Javier Acuna and Davide Faraoni both either side of half-time to put the Championship outfit on the verge a minor upset.

But the visitors hit back with 15 minutes remaining through Josh Murphy before Hooper equalised with the last touch of normal time.

The summer signing from Celtic then scored the winning goal of the game as he coolly finished when through on goal with just five minutes of extra time remaining.

Everton, the only unbeaten team in the Premier League, squandered a lead at Fulham for whom Darren Bent clinched a 2-1 win.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport