Borini defends decision to stay put
Liverpool forward Fabio Borini has defended himself against accusations he has wildly unrealistic expectations after turning down two moves during the transfer window.
The Italian rejected both Sunderland, with whom he had a successful loan spell last season, earlier in the summer before turning down QPR in the closing hours of the window on Monday.
QPR claimed they were unable to match the 23-year-old's wage demands, with reports suggesting he wanted £90,000-a-week.
That led to criticism of Borini, who will struggle to find a place on the bench at Anfield - never mind get close to the starting line-up - after manager Brendan Rodgers spent £65million on forwards Mario Balotelli, Lazar Markovic and Rickie Lambert.
That sum does not include the £10million invested in Divock Origi, who was immediately loaned back to French club Lille.
However, former Chelsea trainee Borini has hit back.
"Finally the madness is finished!" he wrote on Twitter.
"I protected the MAN and the player that I am today, taking all the responsibility of the situation and for people who didn't want it.
"And I'm VERY happy with myself to have taken such an important decision!"
Borini was Rodgers' first signing at Anfield in the summer of 2012, at a cost of £10.5million, having previously worked with him in Chelsea's youth team and during a loan spell at Swansea.
However, injuries have dogged his time on Merseyside and he scored just two goals in his maiden season before moving to Sunderland for the 2013-14 season, where he became something of a favourite on Wearside.
He scored in both games against arch-rivals Newcastle, including a brilliant winner in the Stadium of Light encounter.
The Black Cats had a £14million bid accepted by Liverpool in July but Borini rejected a move and, even with his options limited, he refused the escape route offered by QPR.
While Borini considers what lies ahead for him Rodgers' final summer signing Balotelli will be looking for a long run in the side having made his debut in Sunday's 3-0 win at Tottenham.
Defender Jose Enrique made his comeback in that game after nine months out with injury and he is relishing playing alongside the Italy striker.
"Everyone knows that Mario has all the qualities to be one of the best strikers in the world," he told liverpoolfc.com.
"He knows this is an amazing chance for him at play for Liverpool and I think he's going to do really well.
"During the time he's been with us I've talked with him a lot and inside the dressing room he's been really good.
"Hopefully what we saw on the pitch at Tottenham is what he'll be like all season. He can make a real impact."
Borini's agent says his client is determined to prove his worth at Anfield.
"Fabio had a great season and he is back at Liverpool," the player's representative, Marco De Marchi, said to www.tuttomercatoweb.com. "He has proved he can play at a high level.
"He is still under contract with Liverpool for another two years and the club decided not to listen to offers for Fabio to go out on loan this season.
"I can say that I was contacted by very important European clubs that wanted to get the player on loan.
"Liverpool did not want this and at the last minute (deadline day), the situation with QPR emerged.
"They made an important offer to buy him straight away.
"But if you consider the player to be important and you make an important offer, then also the player should be treated as an important player.
"Now Fabio will remain at Liverpool and try to convince the coach to give him playing time.
"I remember that he (Borini) was the first signing the Liverpool coach wanted when he (Rodgers) arrived at Liverpool.
"Fabio is in one of the most important clubs in the world and what will happen in the future we don't know."
Who is your sportstar of the year?
Vote in the Irish Independent Sport Star Awards and you could win the ultimate sports prize.
Prizes include, tickets to Ireland's against Scotland in the Six Nations, All Ireland football and hurling final tickets and much more.