Sunday 18 November 2018

Amanda Staveley: Newcastle takeover bid still on the table

Magpies owner Mike Ashley called a halt to negotiations with PCP Capital Partners.

Amanda Staveley
Amanda Staveley

By Press Association Sport staff

Amanda Staveley has said it is “absurd and hurtful” to suggest her Newcastle takeover bid is not a serious one and insists her offer is still on the table.

United remain up for sale after owner Mike Ashley called a halt to negotiations which had been ongoing with Staveley’s PCP Capital Partners since November.

On Tuesday, sources close to him dismissed those talks as “a complete waste of time”.

But speaking to the Times, Staveley rejected that characterisation of her offer.

“I’m very concerned, I’m very surprised and I’m disappointed about what’s been said this week,” she said.

“The suggestion that we were either wasting time or not serious is absurd. It’s hurtful. Hugely hurtful.”

Press Association Sport understands there had been no contact between the two parties since before Christmas, and that the sportswear magnate had lost patience with both the public nature of the pursuit and a lack of tangible progress.

ipanews_1cf27074-f478-474c-bddd-27d71c991b5e_embedded234496571
Mike Ashley is selling Newcastle

However, Staveley insisted she remained a genuine bidder.

“I’m very much still interested in buying Newcastle. And our bid remains on the table,” she told the newspaper.

“This is an investment, but it has to be a long-term investment. Newcastle would be run as a business, but we want it to be a successful, thriving business that is an absolutely integral part of the city.”

She also added that manager Rafael Benitez was fundamental to her bid, adding: “Rafa is doing an incredible job. We want Rafa to be part of this project.”

ipanews_1cf27074-f478-474c-bddd-27d71c991b5e_embedded234305490
Rafael Benitez is central to Amanda Staveley's plans

Ashley has let it be known that he will only consider potential buyers who are serious in intent and who can prove it by demonstrating that the finance is in place to do a deal.

He is also determined that any negotiations will be conducted in private, as was the case when he launched his £134.4million takeover back in 2007.

PCP were one of several parties to sign non-disclosure agreements with the club after it was put up for sale in October last year, and some are understood to be monitoring the current situation, although none are anywhere near as advanced in their interest as Staveley’s group.

The Sports Direct tycoon had hoped to secure a sale by Christmas, giving a new owner time to make a mark in the January transfer window, but having failed to do so, now faces the task of funding a limited recruitment drive.

Press Association

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport